Quantcast

Flite saddle...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have one as well. Wumpus is right. Hard at first, but nice after a couple months of regular use.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The newer ones don't seem to break in as nice as the older ones. I kept the same one on my bikes for year cause it was way comfy. I've tried some newer ones that just never broke in.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I think he's talking about breaking his ass in
That was my thought too. :biggrin:

They are nice and minimalistic but they never impressed me as far as comfort. My buddy liked his, but than back then he was running cork grips to save weight too:bonk: All I ever got from a flite was a sore arse.

I think the guys that eentually liked them just built up caluses(sp?) or killed most of the nerve endings in their arse. :busted:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'll admit that I tend to find any saddle I ride for a while comfortable after a little time. Except the Azonic Hotseat. what garbage....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Whats to break in? It's a plastic shell with a very thin layer of pad Its not like its a brooks or something that wears in.
Just like a pair of leather shoes, when they are new they can be a little stiff, after a while the leather softens up, and gets more cushy. Same thing with the saddle, after lots of riding the leather begins to soften up and gets more comfy.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
That was my thought too. :biggrin:

They are nice and minimalistic but they never impressed me as far as comfort. My buddy liked his, but than back then he was running cork grips to save weight too:bonk: All I ever got from a flite was a sore arse.

I think the guys that eentually liked them just built up caluses(sp?) or killed most of the nerve endings in their arse. :busted:
A couple years ago I broke the saddle on my road bike a couple weeks before a long road ride I had planned. I had two options 1) use a WTB saddle from my mountain bike, but I knew that to be extremely painful on the road bike and 2) try out a Selle Italia SLR saddle that I had recently traded for. I tried out the SLR for the first time on the 70 mile road ride. Bad idea. I had no feeling in the junk for the better part of a week.:mad:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I had one on my DH bike, it broke because I'm fat and landed on it. Was pretty comfy though.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Got the 180 gram version for like $30. Retails at around $100. Didnt look so bad in the pic so I figured what the hell. In person it looks masochistic. THough I rod around on it a little last night... seems pretty good.

Like I said, I have the Trans Am cut out version and like it. I have thousands of miles on them. I would ride the Flite without question. $30 is a really good deal. Enjoy it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I rode a flite for years and loved it. It finally fell apart on me and I could never get used to the new one, no matter how much it broke in. I think they changed the shape over the years. I went to a WTB Devo and never looked back.

Last saddle I bought was a Specialized that DT recommended - s'posed to be a junk protector. Did pretty decent at that, but fell apart after maybe two seasons.

I'm actually thinking about getting a Brooks. I have always found those to be comfy after break in and they're durable.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Last saddle I bought was a Specialized that DT recommended - s'posed to be a junk protector. Did pretty decent at that, but fell apart after maybe two seasons.

I'm actually thinking about getting a Brooks. I have always found those to be comfy after break in and they're durable.
Most of the ultra veteran bikers and bike collectors that I know all ride brooks saddles.