Quantcast

Floorstanding Speakers

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Im going to be getting a set of floorstanding speakers pretty soon. I know whats what for car audio, but dont know much about home audio. I'm looking at these right now, as I can get a deal on them from polk. Im looking to spend about $500 max. Whats the best set of floorstanding speakers I can get to blow my ears out with? what do you guys like? These will be used mostly for music, and will be accompanied with a 12" sub I already have.

These are what im thinking of getting

J

JRB

I'm pretty sure there is a thread in the tech forum by binary visions about this. I didn't read it, but have heard it referenced. I never much cared about speakers so I didn't have much interest, but like I said, it's there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've got a set of R30s that I'm very happy with for the ridiculously low price I got them for.

The bass response is lacking, as one would expect, but I live in an apartment so I don't want any thumping bass anyway. I'll add a subwoofer when I get a house.

This is the third set of Polk speakers that I've used (two home sets and one in my car) and have been happy with. I've listened to other setups, mostly from my friends, and have not heard the clean sound I get from my Polks. None of us are buying thousand dollar speakers.

The Monitor series is generally regarded as superior to the R series, might want to look into a set of Monitor 60s.

Lots of good speakers out there, I'm sure, but given the price of good speakers, I'm sticking with a brand I know to be good until I find something I know is better.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Those are very nice. I have had good luck with Polk Audio speaker products in the past in car audio, then the home audio I found was even better.

I am a cheap bastard and you can't mach the $:quality ratio I have seen with them.

I like the Infinity Beta 50 a lot as well.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
binary visions said:
I've got a set of R30s that I'm very happy with for the ridiculously low price I got them for.

The bass response is lacking, as one would expect, but I live in an apartment so I don't want any thumping bass anyway. I'll add a subwoofer when I get a house.

This is the third set of Polk speakers that I've used (two home sets and one in my car) and have been happy with. I've listened to other setups, mostly from my friends, and have not heard the clean sound I get from my Polks. None of us are buying thousand dollar speakers.

The Monitor series is generally regarded as superior to the R series, might want to look into a set of Monitor 60s.

Lots of good speakers out there, I'm sure, but given the price of good speakers, I'm sticking with a brand I know to be good until I find something I know is better.

The Monitor 60s do look like a better choice than the Rs. I got my race team sponsored by Polk Car Audio, so I might be a bit biased as I get the stuff screaming cheap. However the contract I signed was for car audio only, I can buy whatever for my house. I would like to stick with polks though, as my now damaged ears can attest to the quality of their car audio products

WSU DH'er

Monkey
Nov 28, 2003
Fayetteville, NC
I would assume great speakers, I have the RT55i's that are a few years old (no longer made). However these are the same just in the floor standing model, the 55i's are a bookshelf style. The speakers are great, they have a great range and clarity. Mine are mated to an Onkyo 100x5 reciever makes for a great combination.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
why do you need something so huge and obtrusive though unless you have a dedicated listening room or something?

Plenty of bookshelf speakers out there that pack a lot of punch and bang for the buck.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
why do you need something so huge and obtrusive though unless you have a dedicated listening room or something?

Plenty of bookshelf speakers out there that pack a lot of punch and bang for the buck.
There are the exact same speakers in a bookshelf size, but unfortunately, sometimes a bookshelf speaker actually isn't less obtrusive.

The bookshelf speakers are the same width and length as these floorstanding models, only shorter. Thus, you need a place to put 'em, and if you have to buy stands to put them on (i.e. your entertainment center doesn't have a place to stand them, or you can't mount them on walls), then why not just get the floorstanding model?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it's been 2hrs and no one has brought up the lack of money issue?

i love the floor standing speakers i got from X-Ray. $75, perfect shape, great sound. yea.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
MMcG said:

Agree, and with a sub that will take care of anything below 60 Hz, there are some very nice Paradigm and B&W loudspeakers, "bookshelfs" if you will. Make some stands, they are easy. Check out the Reference line for the Paradigm and the 601's by B&W. Enjoy!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Find yourself a set of old Klipsch Forte I or II speakers. They are very efficient and you can crank the sh*t out of them. Not to mention they are a great sounding speaker.