Quantcast

Flow Park in Spartanburg! Need your help.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey Guys,
I got a call yesterday that floored me. Right inside the city of Spartanburg in Duncan Park, a massive flow park is being built. The city dumped money in the project and the guy running it is going full on. They have heavy machinery, and are putting it to use moving massive amounts of dirt.
This place is going to have a ton of huge berms, rollers, doubles, tabletops etc. right inside the city by the baseball field. The plan is to have 4 different runs down from the top, and an outside loop to connect them all. The guy running it asked me to get as many local riders as I can to come out
THIS SATURDAY MORNING. The dirt has already been dug, so what is needed is basically shaping berms up and cutting out vines and roots that the machines dug up. Sorry about the short notice, but I just found out about this yesterday. I hope alot of you local guys can come out, because the sooner we can get it shaped up the sooner we can ride it.
They are talking about having events here as well right inside the city.
This could be a great thing for the local scene.
If you can make it contact me for directions, but it is located right in the baseball parking lot at Duncan Park.

Thanks, Jeremy

P.S. I went out there last night right before dark and took a couple of horrible shots with my cell. But you can see all the dirt piled up the hill waiting to be shaped into berms. :thumb: These shots are two different ways down the hill.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I'll ask my buddies in Asheville (whom aren't on the forum). Matt, Cecil, Tim??? you guys want to go? I MIGHT be able to go, but need to figure out what I did to my wrist on Sun at Clemson before I start throwing around a shovel or rake. I guess, I can play water boy.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Those roots need a good tiller! :thumb: Have fun with it.

Our daughter has the schedule of a senior VP of marketing this Saturday. Make up day from the snow, basketball game, team pictures and a birthday sleepover. :rolleyes:

If anybody from Asheville decides to head down to help out, shoot me a line at 828-338-9125 and I'll see if I can get a hall pass. Congrats!!!:rockout:

dukmon

Chimp
Jan 26, 2011
Hey..... Upstate SORBA here. Flow Park? This is GREAT! I would really like to get more information on it (builder,designer,cost) sometime, if possible.

I am just now seeing this and have already called out to some club members to see what can happen for this Saturday. No good response yet due to such a short notice, but if we cannot have some folks on site this Saturday, please let us know when other work days may be or what else we may do to be of service.

Hope Saturday goes well.

So-EastMatt

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
I hope I'm not derailling the "I can't come dig" thread but I should be able to make it out. ;)

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Hey..... Upstate SORBA here. Flow Park? This is GREAT! I would really like to get more information on it (builder,designer,cost) sometime, if possible.

I am just now seeing this and have already called out to some club members to see what can happen for this Saturday. No good response yet due to such a short notice, but if we cannot have some folks on site this Saturday, please let us know when other work days may be or what else we may do to be of service.

Hope Saturday goes well.
Chip, thanks for passing the Info along to the Group.

Cecil

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001

Hope Saturday goes well.
As far as info, Eric Turner is the builder and is the one working with the city. I know TC is helping him who is the guy who has cut so much trail at Croft.
I don't know about cost, but the city has so far "been incredible to work with" according to Eric. Ever since Spartanburg has gotten their "bike town" status, the city has been really aggressive on all things cycling related.
And Saturday is just the first public work day, there will be more I am sure.
I knew beforehand it was short notice, but thanks for trying to round up some people.

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
As far as info, Eric Turner is the builder and is the one working with the city. I know TC is helping him who is the guy who has cut so much trail at Croft.
I don't know about cost, but the city has so far "been incredible to work with" according to Eric. Ever since Spartanburg has gotten their "bike town" status, the city has been really aggressive on all things cycling related.
And Saturday is just the first public work day, there will be more I am sure.
I knew beforehand it was short notice, but thanks for trying to round up some people.

What time ? and directions to the place would be helpful so i can post it on the sorba site

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
What time ? and directions to the place would be helpful so i can post it on the sorba site
Eric just said that they are going to get started at 8:00 AM Saturday morning. It is not like a location where you have to be there on time to all walk in together or anything though. The work to do if right off the parking lot of the ball field.
Here are the directions.

From I-85:

Take exit #69/SPARTANBURG onto I-85-BL N - go 4.67 miles

Take exit #5A/PINE STREET/DOWNTOWN onto I-585 S toward SPARTANBURG/US-176 E - go 2.4 miles

Continue on N PINE ST(US-176 E) - go 2.1 miles

Turn Right on ST ANDREWS ST - go 0.1 miles

Turn Left on UNION ST(SC-56) - go 0.3 miles

Turn Right on DUNCAN PARK DR

Arrive at DUNCAN PARK DR, SPARTANBURG

Get out of your car and Hi 5 Jeremy

No chest bumps and/or fist bumps.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
As long as the following protocol is followed:

1. Begin with a traditional firm handshake

2. Keeping your hand clasped with your buddy, wrap the left arm around the shoulder of your friend.

3. Slap your friend’s back two times. The back slap is key. Somehow hitting your fellow man makes the hug more manly.

4. Release embrace.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yep that is a man hug Jeremy. I had a drunk buddy surprise me the other day, he snuck under both armpits with his shoulders and gave me a full frontal hug, without me knowing any hug was coming at all. I jumped back pushing him away from me with a WTF? He said hey man you know I'm not gay...
I just said gay or not- never do that again and gave him man hug instructions as you noted. And always give hug warning! starting with a handshake and slowly moving in for the chest bump is a good way to telestrate your intentions so that a friend doesn't punch you in the face.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
What about the traditional Touchdown jump off...where I launch my groin fully into the face of my helmeted teammate, all the while pointing to the sky as he is forced to breath man musk? :think:

Wife is checking the Saturday school schedule right now. If it's clear, I'll come and anybody is welcome to "come with". If somebody can advance warn us for the next dig day, I'm thinking pump track session and Matt's skills on the grill at Jeremy's afterwards.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I forgot about the Birthday party on Sat that I committed to, besides I need to take a couple weeks off from doing anything to let me wrist heel (get your minds out of the gutter). It still hurts.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Hey Guys,
I got a call yesterday that floored me. Right inside the city of Spartanburg in Duncan Park, a massive flow park is being built. The city dumped money in the project and the guy running it is going full on. They have heavy machinery, and are putting it to use moving massive amounts of dirt.
This place is going to have a ton of huge berms, rollers, doubles, tabletops etc. right inside the city by the baseball field. The plan is to have 4 different runs down from the top, and an outside loop to connect them all. The guy running it asked me to get as many local riders as I can to come out
THIS SATURDAY MORNING. The dirt has already been dug, so what is needed is basically shaping berms up and cutting out vines and roots that the machines dug up. Sorry about the short notice, but I just found out about this yesterday. I hope alot of you local guys can come out, because the sooner we can get it shaped up the sooner we can ride it.
They are talking about having events here as well right inside the city.
This could be a great thing for the local scene.
If you can make it contact me for directions, but it is located right in the baseball parking lot at Duncan Park.

Thanks, Jeremy

P.S. I went out there last night right before dark and took a couple of horrible shots with my cell. But you can see all the dirt piled up the hill waiting to be shaped into berms. :thumb: These shots are two different ways down the hill.

I thought you knew about
this?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
637 views on this thread and I would like to thank Matt and Zac for coming out. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Typical. No wonder why rockstars like Mueller build alone.

$hit got moved anyway though with much more to come:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
For what it is worth, Matt and I both had the same committment this past Saturday..... I am open for future planned weekends.
Sorry if you missed out on something special Bro!!!! You know you loved it!! Ha Ha!!!

Jeremy, I will be glad to help too. I owe you for coming out to help at Paris Mt in the past.

Cecil

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Did you guys build those berms by hand or did you have machinery help? Matt has machinery (as he mentioned) that will cut down the time and effort to move LOTS of dirt.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Did you guys build those berms by hand or did you have machinery help? Matt has machinery (as he mentioned) that will cut down the time and effort to move LOTS of dirt.
Actually, this is the one time where dirt is not a problem. There are big piles of it waiting to be shaped into berms and packed down. The machines have already piled the dirt.

I found out a little more info on it recently. A professional trailbuilder named Deno is the one cutting the trails through the woods. He is the guy who built the Kanuga trails at Paris.
Also, I called this thing a flow park, but I don't really have an accurate "name"
for what it is going to be. The trails are going to have a "top" where 4 different downward sloping trails start from, and an outside loop to hook them together. So, you can ride this place like it is a slalom run down and push back up, or you can ride xc style in a continous loop on some fun machine built trail. I am betting this place is gonna scream for a dropper post. ;)
IMO, this place could be something really good, as long as we can get people to get everything "shaped" up right. The "finishing" of the trail is either gonna make it fun or done.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
sounds a bit like country park here....stoked for you guys to have such a rad spot! you think it'll be open by the clemson race? would be fun to hit that on the way out from the race.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
sounds a bit like country park here....stoked for you guys to have such a rad spot! you think it'll be open by the clemson race? would be fun to hit that on the way out from the race.
It may be pushing it for it to be ridable by Clemson, but if it is, I will let you know!
And if it turns out anywhere near as sweet as country park, I would be stoked. The land area it is on is going to be bigger, but if the runs down are similar to CP, then yeah :thumb:

wilbywise

Chimp
Feb 10, 2008
Charleston, SC
Hey guys I just happened to stumble across this thread and I am very excited to see something ( somewhat aggressive ) being developed in the Burg! A group of us guys who grew up there have been urban riding the streets and Duncan park area for quite some time now. Duncan park definately has the potential of being a great riding establishment! Hopefully when I head back that way I can check out the progress and maybe lend a helping hand. Coming from a freestyle and DH rider I hope we can really blow this place up with some good trails and jumps! Thanks guys, keep the good stuff coming!:thumb: