Quantcast

Floyd Landis B Sample positive...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
the NFL is pretty good at picking up pot or coke usage, but steroids??? nada. they turn the proverbial blind eye.
David Boston and Todd Sauerbrun dont agree.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
its not only steroid use.
you have HGH too, and many other stuff a good team of doctors can supply, monitor and keep under the radar.

why do you have it hard to believe teams would sponsor stuff like that?
I'd find it hard to believe because if a team were EVER caught doing such a thing, it would be kicked out of the league or the owner forced to sell. There would be such outrage and such a loss of money that no one in their right mind would risk it. No way no how. These arent freaking cycling teams that people dont know whats going on in the offseason and behind closed doors. The media scrutiny in pro football prohibits this crap as well.
HGH could be done on an individual basis, and as it stands, we all know there's no way of testing for it, but from my understanding its a systemic hormone. Not something you just take a shot of once in a while. I just think its pretty unlikely that it is in widespread use under such a microscope.

splat

Nam I am
BurlyShirley said:
So unless you're suggesting there's some grand conspiracy where teams are sponsoring steroid use, it just isnt likely.
I love a good conspiracy theory!!

But What I'm also saying is they are Big before they get to the NFL, so Well I guess I'm Pointing the Finger at the colleges! those programs that are will at all costs , like Florida State, University of Florida , Nebraska , Texas , Oaklahoma , etc ,etc the list is very very long. And yes the colleges are doing drug testing too ( aren't they ??? ) but hell Jocks at college have been paying other students for years to take test , now its just a drug test they get some clean kid to take for them.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
BurlyShirley said:
Likely because of a lack of athletic ability that stopped you from playing. Like most losers I mean...
Middle LB...

The only "clean" pro leagues:

-NASCAR

-PGA Tour

:p

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Perhaps Floyd was doping the whole time just in tiny quantities that would be detected but when he got dehydrated it lowered what ever they measured his testostrone against and it suddenly popped up..

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
David Boston and Todd Sauerbrun dont agree.
two guys.

you think tony mandarich used 'roids?

how about lyle alzado?

there are plenty of other names out there.

hell, a roommate of mine from college used to work for the equipment manager for the Vikings during training camps @ Mankato St. true, the stories he'd tell are 15+ yrs old, but i doubt it's much different in today's NFL world.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
two guys.

you think tony mandarich used 'roids?

how about lyle alzado?

there are plenty of other names out there.

hell, a roommate of mine from college used to work for the equipment manager for the Vikings during training camps @ Mankato St. true, the stories he'd tell are 15+ yrs old, but i doubt it's much different in today's NFL world.

lyle alzado? LMAO! Talk about a current issue:rofl:

Its no secret that it was an issue in the past...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
blue said:
Middle LB...

The only "clean" pro leagues:

-NASCAR

-PGA Tour

:p

i think those professional poker players you see on the tube are probably clean.
but ya never know.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So should UCI (or whatever) fine Floyd for wasting everyones' time? I mean should there be more of a punishment that just losing the title and being suspended from racing for a while? I'm sure his shenanigans have cost "the system" numerous thousands of dollars. Should he be held responsible for that?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I would be surprised if even synchronized swimmers are capable of competing without performance-enhancing or recreational drugs coursing through their bloodstreams. Lord knows I wouldn't be able to even SIT through an event without being hopped up on them!

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Transcend said:
I'm no doctor, but I'm guessing ingestion of a huge dose of testosterone (11:1 vs 4:1) would have some immediate effects. It's a widely known practice in the track and field world for sprinters who like to cheat as well.
1- Good thing you're not a doctor, because you made a bad guess. The only immediate result of a huge overdose would be great difficulty getting your shorts on. It would probably just cause a terminal woodie. Track and field athletes use it in progressed 6 week training cycles to speed recovery and build fast twitch (sprinting) muscle strength. Distance athletes almost never use it. It would have minimal or no overnight effect on recovery. Floyd could have used a much more suitable drug than testosterone to go on a one day rampage.

Transcend said:
It was also almost 3 times the allowed, and natural, limit.
2- We don't know what his level of testosterone was, only its ratio to epitestosterone. If the epitestosterone was low for some reason, he would have a high ratio and normal testosterone levels.

Transcend said:
edit: It was synthetic, proving his body did not manufacture it.
3- We don't know if some of the testosterone was synthetic; that is only a leaked rumor so far. And there are many substances in meat, food wrappings, and supplements that contain traces of male hormones. If only a trace of his testosterone was synthetic, there are a lot of believable explanations.

I don't claim Floyd is innocent. But you and everybody else owe it to the guy to keep your s**t to yourself until and unless you know what you're talking about.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
jaydee said:
1- Good thing you're not a doctor, because you made a bad guess. The only immediate result of a huge overdose would be great difficulty getting your shorts on. It would probably just cause a terminal woodie. Track and field athletes use it in progressed 6 week training cycles to speed recovery and build fast twitch (sprinting) muscle strength. Distance athletes almost never use it. It would have minimal or no overnight effect on recovery. Floyd could have used a much more suitable drug than testosterone to go on a one day rampage.

2- We don't know what his level of testosterone was, only its ratio to epitestosterone. If the epitestosterone was low for some reason, he would have a high ratio and normal testosterone levels.

3- We don't know if some of the testosterone was synthetic; that is only a leaked rumor so far. And there are many substances in meat, food wrappings, and supplements that contain traces of male hormones. If only a trace of his testosterone was synthetic, there are a lot of believable explanations.

I don't claim Floyd is innocent. But you and everybody else owe it to the guy to keep your s**t to yourself until and unless you know what you're talking about.
I don't owe him a thing, and both the Lab and the UCI have officially stated that it was synthetic. Also, like I said, not a doctor.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
From cyclingnews.com: A source "within the UCI anti-doping department, with knowledge of the result" Landis' probe returned, said in an interview that some of the testosterone in his body had come from an external source and was not produced by his system. This was an anonymous source, not official. We don't have any numbers yet. And the only real reason I give Landis the benefit of the doubt in this situation is that the one-time use of testosterone in amounts large enough to produce this test result makes no sense at all. There would be minimal or no performance benefits from it and there was absolutely no way he could hope not to get caught. All his other tests were negative. He strikes me as too intelligent a guy to do something this dumb.