Quantcast

Fluid Dynamics

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
So, the more i learn about dampers, the more i'm curious, and the more I realize I don't know. Aside from sifting through RM threads, can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of good books, sites, or other sources. In particular, shim stacks, valving, porting, viscosity, cavitation, and anything else related i'm leaving out. For example i just sifted through this site for a shim stack calculator and it got my wheels turning... http://shimrestackor.com/Dyno_Data/dyno-data.htm

Just looking for some edumacation.

Thanks - in advance.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
If your wishing to know the low level physics you can read any university text books on fluid dynamics for the starters. Also this wiki link can help point you in the correct direction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_dynamics Though to be honest for setting up or even making custom dampers you don't need to know this. The basic of the hydraulic damper is very simple and has not changed in many years. Even pedal platforms and brain type systems are in there essence simple. You will often learn more by simply trying things and seeing the effect. There is a few good threads on this forum where people have made custom damping systems for forks in the past. One good one is a custom TP damper in the Boxxer that was quite a few years ago. Hope that was some help

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
I do understand the low level physics. It is quite simple. I was looking for more specific application such as an articles that boil down different damper designs and/or handbooks on shim stack tuning and such. Just curious.

Edit: I follow the low level physics. not trying to come off as snarky...

Last edited:

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
O.K. - that handbook is really good. The chapter on cavitation finally put a lot of things together for me. Big Thanks.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Yeah, I never realised the piston did so much until I read that. There also a heap on different types of shim stacks, slotted shims and whatnot.