Quantcast

flush headset

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by ?????, May 4, 2008.

1. ?????

????? Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 2
    #1 -   May 4, 2008

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MtnbikeMike

MtnbikeMike Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    My Cane Creek works just dandily. I have no experience with the FSA, however, so I can't compare.

#2 -   May 4, 2008
  3. fellow pinner

fellow pinner Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I have the double xc and it works flawless.

#3 -   May 4, 2008
  4. RD3

RD3 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 11
    I would just get e13 cups and FSA bearings. Light and works like a charm.

#4 -   May 4, 2008
  5. poonstar

poonstar Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i have a the e13 reducer cups with a fsa internal and it works well...however my tech friend at the shop says the canecreek one is better...so i am going to try that on my second build.

#5 -   May 4, 2008
  6. davep

davep Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Not sure it is still the case (there was some kind of fall-out between the two), but in the past FSA made most of the headset components for Cane Creek...most importantly the bearings...FSA used to have their OEM headset catalog on their site, and there were seveal CC headsets shown. So to say that one is better than the other is kind of funny. I did at one point have a cc reducer headset that used a gigantic serving platter sized crown race to adapt the 1 1/8" steer tube to the 1.5 bearing...it weighed a ton and liked to bend.

Look closely, the bearings will say THindustries...that IS FSA.

To the OP, my personal choice is the e-13 cups with IS bearings. You can go fancy and get the stainless bearings and aluminum crown race, or spend less $$ and get the steel bearings and crown race. Total stack height without the non-functional dust cap is 6.5mm...

#6 -   May 4, 2008
  7. ?????

????? Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 2
    So as much as I think it's a better idea to just integrate the headset and flush reducer cups into one piece like the Cane Creek and FSA that I referenced earlier, the e.13 reducer cups and some cane creek or fsa 1.125" integrated headset always come up in the replies. Has anyone ever had a problem with the e.13 cups and a regular 1.125" integrated headset? Are the bearings larger or more durable with the double xc flush or orbit z 1.5r?

#7 -   May 4, 2008
  8. socal stinky

socal stinky Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    What about Hope's stepdown? I have the cane creek and it seems to be heavy as mentioned earlier. I am going to try the hope in a future build.

#8 -   May 4, 2008
  9. bikerpunk98199

bikerpunk98199 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i have the hope on my socom and it is by far not low, the bottom cup is pretty tall.

#9 -   May 4, 2008
  10. socal stinky

socal stinky Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Really? Sicklines claims that the stack height is 2.3 mm which is 0.7 mm lower than the e13 cups?

11. ?????

????? Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 2
    http://www.canecreek.com/cane-creek-110-is-headset.html
    Just to make sure, the dust cap is the anodized part with the cane creek laser etched in?

12. Daver

Daver Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Been running the Cane Creek for over 18 months and it's still sweet. Bearings are good, nice and low, couldn't ask for much more.

13. davep

davep Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

Yes. On different headsets it is of differing height and materials...but yes that is the dust cap/cover. Generally you can ditch the dust cover and run the crown on the compression ring for ultra low-stack height. I usually put a micro-spacer in there (stainless steel 1/10 mm spacer) just to provide a buffer for aluminum-aluminum wear. Same idea as the King 'scuff washer'.