Quantcast

Fly or ship my bike to Whistler?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm flying to Whistler in a couple of weeks and trying to figure out the best way to get my bike up there. Flying United will cost me $80 each way and presumably a bunch of hassles at each airport. Or I can ship it ahead of time, either to my pal up there or to one of the shops. I don't need any mechanical assistance.

So, who is more likely to damage or lose my precious rig, United or UPS?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
FEDEX. Open up an account. It's free and their ground, account rates are soooo cheap.

Think I might fly it out though personally. I mean if you're already going to be breaking it down and all you might as well keep in it your hands the entire time so to speak. Then again, Fedex will come to your house and pick the bike and up and ship it for cheap.....

guess I don't know. Don't bother with UPS though. don't.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
By "carry on" do mean that you vote for flying with it?

Or is it just that you think you're clever and like to hear yourself type?

It's not a dahon.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
I'd ship it ahead of time. It could get thrown on the wrong plane or something and you wouldn't see it for a long time, or it could be a few days late from fedex. I'd just ship it well in advance.

DHTRAVELER

Chimp
Feb 16, 2004
TEXAS
FLY IT WITH YOU!!!! It can take up to two to three weeks to be delivered if there is a problem with customs. I checked on shipping rates last summer and it was actually cheaper to fly with it and the shipping company suggested I fly with it to make sure it was there when I was. I don't know about United but on American your bike case/box can't weigh over 100lbs. I have a two bike case that had two turner frames, tools, wheels, armor and clothes and it weighed about 140lbs. They made me take things out until it weighed 100.2lbs and charged me for an additional box and another $80.00. As for hassles at the airport I have traveled internationaly with my bikes many times and never had any accept the aforementioned incident.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Shipping a bike across the border is not cheap. FedEx Ground has low rates, but 1) FedEx Ground International is relatively new and IMO sketchy and 2) You will pay customs brokerage fees in the range of $20-$75 for anything other than USPS. I would use United.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Put your bike in a box that is not a bike box and tell them you are an artist and it is a sculpture. They wont charge you the extra bike fee :) My friend told me he did this, and he saw it in some bike magazine

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
if you are already flying united airlines and have a NORBA annual license, you can fly your bike RT for free. USACycling will mail you your two, one-way vouchers.

joel

conleycm1

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
I flew to asia with my xc bike (still VERY heavy) on Northwest from PA. I broke the bike down but still used a "cannondale" bike box from my local shop. The Northwest counter guy in PA asked for the $75. My Mom pipes up "Oh, it's sports equipment" So the guy didn't charge me a cent. Maybe it was cause she said it to him, not me!:D :D

Anyway, I'm doing it again when I come home but I'll use a non-bike box, or even better, buy a cheap, big suitcase and break the bike down and put inside. I don't think you'll be charged for that, as long as it's not overweight.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by BigMike
Put your bike in a box that is not a bike box and tell them you are an artist and it is a sculpture. They wont charge you the extra bike fee :) My friend told me he did this, and he saw it in some bike magazine
Lying to people at airports nowadays is a recipe for disaster mate. That is unless you like the rubber glove treatment.;) :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by valve bouncer
Lying to people at airports nowadays is a recipe for disaster mate. That is unless you like the rubber glove treatment.;) :D
I don't think we are far from the day that luggage is charged by weight, ANYTHING oversize is charged, and carryons are limited to one, the major airlines are in such dire straits with the low-cost airlines undermining and undercutting them. At least in this one area I'll be set with my career choice...too bad pilots are paid peanuts now compared to a few years ago...oh well, it's not for the money obviously.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I just flew out to vegas in route to Big Bear later this week.

I have never had a problem with 2 dh bikes in my bikepro case. That is until this time. This is the first time on Continital. They were rude right from the start by saying that they don't put bike cases on their planes. Even though we talked with the people in reservations months earlier. So they screwed around for over an hour before putting it on the scale. 152 pounds.

They told me I had 5 minutes to get the box down to 100 pounds or I would be bumped off my flights. I pulled the tool bag, spare parts and wheels and made the 100 lb weight limit. Then had to pay another $80 for another "baggage item" for the wheels. They told me it was to keep their workers from hurting their backs. I asked how does $80 make their backs any more protected. The answer: because 4 people will lift it onto the plane. Utter BS. I watched out the window as 3 guys stood there and watched one guy load it onto the conveyor.

My advise: fly united. No hassles for bikes.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
A bunch of us flew to Whistler last year and we put the bikes in a box and flew them on the plane with us...no problems here or there except for a 10-15 min extra wait for the oversized packages to come down to baggage claim.

Seems like every carrier has different policies and $$ for shipping bikes. We flew Alaska last year, we're flying Alasaka this year and the guy on the phone said its still $50 each way...thats pretty good.

IMO, both ways could have issues but if something goes wrong flying it in..at least you know they have another plane coming in shortly after yours.

Good luck! ...see you there first week in August:D