Quantcast

Flying with a bike--tip the skycap?

wildbill

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
I'll be flying with a bike for the first time this summer.

Usually when I travel with skis I can talk my way through excess baggage fees, but a lot of folks I know swear by just leaving the skis with the skycap, tipping well and letting them take care of it.

Has anyone ever gotten around the $50 bike charge or whatever it is by leaving bikes plus a $20 with the skycap?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I got around an overweight fee by doing that, the long line behind me and cold weather also helped. If you hint at what they might get it could also help, hold a twenty in your hand or something, that has worked for my dad.

juk_lano

Chimp
Jun 27, 2007
I'd try.... I just can't help getting the replay of some movie. Where the dude takes the money and then alerts security. *Sirens blasting*

But its just a plane ride its nothin' serious like tipping off a cop or somethin.

I say go for it.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Years ago I used to get away with it not so much anymore in fact I am on a trip now flew out yesterday and the.guy not only charged me 80 oversize fee but another 80 for overweight. Summer time is the worst for travel so they are usually in pissy moods my girl got lucky though and they only charged her 50

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
If you are a silver medallion skymiles member with Delta, they will waive the excess baggage fees. I haven't had to pay excess baggage fees in a while. Not sure about other airlines though.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I flew from Amarillo to Whistler, round trip and avoided all fees. Make sure your box is under the weight restriction of the airline. American is 50lbs and under.

FIRST... if there is curb-side check in, use that. They normally don't check.

Normally, go inside, and go about your normal business and don't ask questions. That is the biggest mistake two of my friends made, they kept asking if they were going to be charged, and they did have to pay 80 dollars for that.

Set the box down on the scale, and under 50 lbs and your good. Just go about your business, be friendly, smile alot, maybe flirt a bit. If they ask questions, say you spoke to an airline rep. over the phone and it was passed by them. A little white lie never hurt any body.

Mainly, just scam your way through.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
If you are a silver medallion skymiles member with Delta, they will waive the excess baggage fees. I haven't had to pay excess baggage fees in a while. Not sure about other airlines though.
Crap, seriously?!? Including bikes?? I could've been travling with my bike constantly for the past 2 years...doh!

wildbill

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
thanks for the info-

seliger, I like your style, making up obscure airline rules and generally trying to confuse the counter people to get your bags on the plane. "These skis don't have bindings, so they don't actually count as extra luggage on Tuesdays and Thursdays ma'am."

now for a total newb bike travel question that has come up as I've read the responses--are you guys all just using bike boxes, no fancy wheeled travel bags?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
now for a total newb bike travel question that has come up as I've read the responses--are you guys all just using bike boxes, no fancy wheeled travel bags?
im glad this thread came up, because this will hopefully be my first summer taveling also and i was wondering the same thing, boxes? perhaps two if it isnt under 50?