Quantcast

Foam tubes

smack

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
yeah, yeah, I know --they stink and are heavy but I wan't one anyway.
When I was a kid I had one on my killer Huffy Smokey and the Bandit dirt bike
and I remember being able to stick knives through it.
Nowadays it seems I can't ride for two seconds without puncturing my back tire.
Now I know that simply replacing my more than wasted rim would probably
help prevent the problem, plus I could lighten up a little on the abuse of my bike,
but hey, I don't wanna!

Does anyone know where I can get one?????

muddywolf

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
somewhere in the desert
running solid tubes will destroy your wheels since they dont absorb very much shock. I would suggest thorn resistant tubes, slime and tire liners, it adds about two pounds. Ive been running this combination in my offroad wheelset since last summer and havent had a flat, and Ive come back from a couple rides with more goatheads on my tires than rubber.

just 0.02 from the heart of thorn country

smack

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
I've tried all that except adding the slime -- maybe that's the key and you're right, now that you
mention it I had mag wheels on that smokey and the bandit baby.
Thanks for the reply.

ridemonkey2

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Here
I see those at Wallmart while I drulling over those affordibal full suspention bikes.
But how do you ride with a knife through your tire?

smack

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Another question might be "how do you ride one of those 'full-
suspension' bikes at Wal-Mart?"
Having never owned one I have to say I agree they're enticing.
I saw one the other day for two-hundred!!
Of course, that was with foam tires.
HEHEHE

muddywolf

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
somewhere in the desert
slime works really well in the T.R. tubes, since they are like 5mm thick, its got plenty of area to bond with.

one of the local security companies bought like ten of those POS wal mart fullys, in the first two weeks they had spent more money repairing the stupid things then they did on the bikes.

good luck with your flats

R

RideMonkey

Isn't just slime enough? Thorn resistant tubes are SO heavy! And tire liners squirm around between the tire and tube and sometimes can be the cause of a flat. And liners are heavy too!

muddywolf

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
somewhere in the desert
In alot of places it seems like you can get away with just slime. but I hear the thorn problem also isnt as bad in Colorado and most other places or doesnt even exist (lucky sob's). but in Albuquerque and most of New Mexico its terrible, I didnt exaggerate at all when I said I've been on rides and come back with more goatheads than rubber showing on my tire. With tubes at a half pound apiece and another Qp with liners and slime It seems like a sin to put 'em in a nice set of wheels, but it sure beats fixing flats every couple miles. I run regular tubes liners and slime in my road wheels and I still flat at least every other ride:mad:

at higher pressure the tire liners don't move around but they will at lower psi's, Ive known a few people to duct tape the liners to the tire to keep them in place.

smack

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Maybe the answer we all need is to go back to the way it was down years ago -- wooden wheels!! You could mount little miny springs with cleats for dampening and traction and I'd bet you'd never have one flat!! Plus you'd get the added benefit of a far greater workout pumpin' those fifty-pounders up those hills.

g4ghb

Chimp
Jul 13, 2001
UK, Near Bath
I have had a set of anti puncture 'tapes' for want of a better word for the last 4 years or so and since installing them haven't had a single puncture!:D they may add weight but I have got to the smug stage where I don't even carry a spare tube :p (I used to end up 'lending' them to mates and never getting a replacement anyway!) :mad: so save weight in that respect (not to mention my pocket!):D

smack

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Once again, mr. taco, I find myself mentioning those good 'ole wooden wheels of yesteryear. If 'dem cops are a chasin' you, only termites would get in yer way.

Originally posted by smack
Once again, mr. taco, I find myself mentioning those good 'ole wooden wheels of yesteryear. If 'dem cops are a chasin' you, only termites would get in yer way.
Well mr. smack, I cud tells you dont know much about lowrider bikes. I run 180 spokes per wheel an' countin' da spare dats 540 spokes on my bike. Chu know wat kinda painindaass it cud be ta gold plate 540 wooden spokes?

smack

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Who sed anithin 'bout platin'? A real man wud do it rite tha firs time.
I do haf ta say I'm impress'd thad yous has a spare.

osamabinhobo

Chimp
Aug 6, 2004
albury nsw aussie
i know a way and a light weight way to reduce the chance of a puncture. i use my old tubes as liners when im just on my practice bike.and trust me i live in aussie i know punctures i mean there is cateyes everywhere.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
leave it to the newb to dig up a thread that's over 3 years old...

One shop owner told me I could cut up an old tire and use the tread area as a tire liner, he swore that the most viscious thorn wouldn't be able to puncture two casings and 10+mm of rubber. I couldn't bring myself to add that much weight to my wheels though, just DH tires are heavy enough. Luckily the wildfires we had last fall seem to have burned up all the goat head thorns in this area, I haven't had a puncture flat for several months now.