Quantcast

FOES DHSmono floating disc brake "play"

dedwards225

Chimp
Jun 11, 2006
Brooklyn
Ok, to all you Foes DHS mono owners/mechanics out there I have a guestion. I can't seem to get the minor "play" out of my floating disc brake. I've replaced the eyelet bearings on both ends but still have a little play. Is there anyway to get it tight?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Where is this play? Is it in the shaft that conects the floater to the frame? If it is, and it is only loose wheen you rotate it then it is normal. If it has play when you push it back and fourth then there are nuts on the heim joints, you loosen then then tighten the heim, then tighten the nut again and the problem should be solved.

A picture of the joints with arrows showing the direction of play would help, as there are lots of joints, and your post was somewhat vague.

dedwards225

Chimp
Jun 11, 2006
Brooklyn
maxyedor said:
Where is this play? Is it in the shaft that conects the floater to the frame? If it is, and it is only loose wheen you rotate it then it is normal. If it has play when you push it back and fourth then there are nuts on the heim joints, you loosen then then tighten the heim, then tighten the nut again and the problem should be solved.

A picture of the joints with arrows showing the direction of play would help, as there are lots of joints, and your post was somewhat vague.
The play is not in the rotation of the shaft but like you described, When I grab the rear brake and rock the bike back and forth that is where the slight play is. It almost seams like the play is the bearing/ball where the bolt goes thru connecting it to the frame and at the rear on the caliper. I'll give it a shot today and let you know how it goes. The heim joints are brand new, just got them from Foes hoping these would have solved the play from the last ones I pulled out.
Do you have a DHS mono? If so, what rear derailuer do you run?
Thanks!
Derek

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've got a Fly wich has basicly the same set-up for a floater, and I used to work at Foes largest dealer and probably built more DHS's than anybody else on the planet. Can you produce this play with the bike on a stand? It can be any of a million things, frrom the brake pads, to the spokes, the heim joints, ect. To me it sounds like a set-up issue with the brake, and a slight chance that it is the heim joints.

By the Way I run Sram X.9s and X.0s on everything except my Road and Cross bikes, they get Campy Record blingage.

dedwards225

Chimp
Jun 11, 2006
Brooklyn
maxyedor said:
I've got a Fly wich has basicly the same set-up for a floater, and I used to work at Foes largest dealer and probably built more DHS's than anybody else on the planet. Can you produce this play with the bike on a stand? It can be any of a million things, frrom the brake pads, to the spokes, the heim joints, ect. To me it sounds like a set-up issue with the brake, and a slight chance that it is the heim joints.
If I put my fingers on the heim joints apply the rear brake and "rock" the bike I can feel the slight play there right at the joint. I got new heim joints from Foes, installed them and still have a little play. I did just talk to Foes and they suggested placing 2 rubber 0-rings that fit snug on the mounting bolt on both sides of the heim joint and this should help. I'll pick up the o-rings tonight and give it a shot. I'll post the outcome. I've installed Hayes brakes on all kinds of DH and XC rigs with no problem, is there something special I should be doing with the floating brake?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
There are several types of rod ends available but they all have some tollerance. The arm that pivots around the rear axle is on a cartrage bearing (2) and those have a small amount of tollerance as well. Even a brand new cartrage bearing has noticable play just by hand. You might be able to minimize the movement by replacing the pivot bearings and making sure tha everything is tight, but i dont think that it will ever be truely without movement using rolling element bearings.

I always seemed to have a little play in my fly floater.
Unless there is noticably more movement than new or there is true 'slop' (read 'clunk clunk') I think that what you are feeling is inherant in the system and not significant.

dedwards225

Chimp
Jun 11, 2006
Brooklyn
davep said:
There are several types of rod ends available but they all have some tollerance. The arm that pivots around the rear axle is on a cartrage bearing (2) and those have a small amount of tollerance as well. Even a brand new cartrage bearing has noticable play just by hand. You might be able to minimize the movement by replacing the pivot bearings and making sure tha everything is tight, but i dont think that it will ever be truely without movement using rolling element bearings.

I always seemed to have a little play in my fly floater.
Unless there is noticably more movement than new or there is true 'slop' (read 'clunk clunk') I think that what you are feeling is inherant in the system and not significant.
Thanks guys for your help. I solved it. The play was the heim joint ON the mounting bolt, both the brake and at the frame above the BB. Per foes I bought a couple of small rubber 0-rings and put them on both sides of the heim over the bolt. Problem Solved! Now we'll see how long the o-rings last. The funny thing is, I never really noticed the play til recently.