Quantcast

Foes Proto DH bike

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Saw this at SO, asked some questions and this is what they had to say.

Travel: 10"
Rate: Straight (shock valving controls rate)
Stroke: 5"! :eek:
Coil: Ti, Dual-Rate (200/300# I believe)

Probably not available until 06 or 07. IMO it was cool to see a bike that really utilizes off-road racing type technology. Anybody else got any thoughts?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
That shaft is steel most likely so strength should not be an issue. Most off-road shocks use a 5/8-7/8" shaft and that is fine for trucks that weigh thousands of pounds.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Wow. Uber-low ratio @ 10" of travel. I guess that's what you can do when you make both the frame and the shock.

For trucks, aren't there usually very large structural members holding everything in place and keeping the shock from being side loaded? I would hope they're looking carefully at the shock shaft :D - but Foes does good (if expensive) work, so I'd expect them to take everything into consideration...

seismic said:
Why do they aim at such a low lever ratio ????
Less stress on the shock, better tunability, ability to use lower spring rates...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Binary- It depends on the design, whether it's front or rear, linked or leaf-sprung etc. I have seen shock shafts bent to crap but it's pretty rare.

2:1 leverage is the max recommended for off-road and although 3:1 is often the norm for bikes I was digging the low 2:1 of this bike. Bouncing on the seat was super plush initially and much firmer as it stroked. It felt very nice.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Wow! the bike brent has been talking to me about since like 02.
And i was all excited about Cedric's Dale.
Single Pivot with rising rate is taking over the world!!!!!..well my little world.

odd though,rising rate linkage,shock AND spring rate! Too much?!

Brent wanted 2:1 leverage to minimise the load on the shock and oil to keep heat and pressure down.

I guess Brent may not know that the current pro dude trend is Light and fast not just Big and fast.But for the average beater this bike could gobble any screwed up landing or log bashing you dare try.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
punkassean said:
Krispy, Brent said the rate was straight. He said the linkage was what controlled that.
Neeto! Thanks,that makes more sense.Looking at the pic the 'pull'rod or link is not visable.That will control the visable link and partially dictate the rate.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Ya know,after riding the new Fly around i have a renewed respect for the Curnutt.No more sticky platform initial stiffness.Still a little clunk on the rebound stroke as the Nut valve closes but far more buttery than previous bikes.Gawd i bet this thing gobbles Sand Point type rediculous holes,rocks and g outs.If you can get her up to speed.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
That bike is the king of hot sh*t mountain....Thats my e-speculation for the day;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Foes? Isn't that the company that makes 50s?

All seriousness aside, that bike looks like some really good Ideas put to use. Now if they can just get over their bad selves and make a bike that you can use a normal chainguide with.

But mmmmm.......2:1...........yummy.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Hmm.......

Looks nice but IMO 10 inches of rear travel is to much for a DH bike. They just feel so slugish to get of the ground, especially when combined with a spv type rear shock.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Cave Dweller said:
Hmm.......

Looks nice but IMO 10 inches of rear travel is to much for a DH bike. They just feel so slugish to get of the ground, especially when combined with a spv type rear shock.
Similiar things were said about 1.8" travel front forks on XC race rigs......

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i bet is has a great balanced feel to match the fork.

i love simple efficient designs.

nice job Brent.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
RhinofromWA said:
Similiar things were said about 1.8" travel front forks on XC race rigs......
Yeh, but where does it stop? Whats next, 12inchs, 14inchs, 16inchs, stuff it, lets go to 20 inches, the more travel the better right??

10 inches is to much, it pushes the BB too high and it runs so much sag that its hard to get it airbourne.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Cave Dweller said:
Yeh, but where does it stop? Whats next, 12inchs, 14inchs, 16inchs, stuff it, lets go to 20 inches, the more travel the better right??

10 inches is to much, it pushes the BB too high and it runs so much sag that its hard to get it airbourne.

have you ever ridden VT or ID?

10'' is great there.

but i agree with your analysis. 10 is max threshold IMO for BB and any sort of light finesse riding style.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
bcd said:

10'' is great there.

but i agree with your analysis. 10 is max threshold IMO for BB and any sort of light finesse riding style.
Yeh, ive ridden the new mono v10 and didn't like it, to dead to ride and it didn't corner as good as my turner. For me at least around 8 inches is where its at.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
bcd said:

10'' is great there.

but i agree with your analysis. 10 is max threshold IMO for BB and any sort of
light finesse riding style.
I think my 10" V10 is excessive for all but the roughest and fastest of courses. Hell, for most of the stuff i ride i'd love an 8-9" adjustable bike. Hint Alex, build me one.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Looks nice...different. I'll sorta miss that whole DHS mono/tube design. I guess I'm so used to seeing it for the past years.

Big stroke shock??? Ha, reminds me of the CPC Patriot with that 4" stroke Fox snowmobile shock.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
ya man, that was THE long stroke bike, like ever!

whatever the reason i think this is brent's nicest design yet, aesthetically a structurally sorted.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
that thing is crazy..i think i'm gonna buy it when it comes out...prolly $10,000 but ohwell.

if u set it up right 10 inches could feel like 4 inches...and i'm sure foes made the shock very adj.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
That thing is so nice, simple, well executed, sex on two wheels.

I think 10" is realistically as much as you can go for a race bike,
I went from a 8" fox sprung mono to a 10" curnutt sprung mono,
took me a little while to get used to the different feel, but now I wouldnt go back, I run 165mm cranks and have smacked em on rocks a couple of times, but nothing to excessive.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
this kid i used to ride with in high school had a cpc patriot paired up with a stratos super 8 and 24" wheels. He rode it off the roof of an 18 wheeled tractor behind walmart once . it was like a couch.
asthetically it looks like a sinister r9 before talking about shock/pivot location/ratios tech junk. long and laid back with a huge wheel base

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
looks: great!
stroke: It puzzles me how he increases oil volumes etc, whereas manitou won half a pound from Dorado TPC 1 to Dorado TPC2, by (among other measures) reducing oil volume. More oil will be cooler and all, but it does add weight to the bike. I'm not convinced of the need of 2/1. sure Some 3/1 shocks have blown, but that's not all due to oil volumes and rates. 2.5/1 may be a compromise.
But then again: let's not get carried away too much. The leaf spring Mono also never made it to production. That's why it says Prototype.

Travel: I had an older M1 sporting about 8", and now my M3 has 9.5. I do feel the extra travel, but no sluggishness whatsoever. It jumps better, pedals and corners better than my M1. On the other hand: i don't feel any need for more travel than this. What we need now is further evolution of shock technology to master these 10 inches. 5th and DHX are fantastic progressions, but there's still plenty of room for improvement. Did I hear Air Shock?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
ChrisRobin said:
Looks nice...different. I'll sorta miss that whole DHS mono/tube design. I guess I'm so used to seeing it for the past years.
Brent said that the front triangle will look different for the production bike. The downtube will be a regular tube but the fest of the front tri will be monocoque. I think it will retain some of that classic foes look.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Saw a lot of bikes last weekend and if I had to pick one to try out for a real DH ride that was it. Soooo tasty looking, like it would gobble anything.

BadFastard said:
What we need now is further evolution of shock technology to master these 10 inches. 5th and DHX are fantastic progressions, but there's still plenty of room for improvement. Did I hear Air Shock?
I generally agree with this, but I also think that the current technology is pretty good and there are a lot of people who don't understand how to set things up properly for their weight, riding style, and particular shock and frame. So it's no surprise that some people think 10 inches is too wallowy or whatever - it wouldn't be if set up properly. But yeah I'm down with the air shocks as long as you can adjust to volume or have some other way of getting bottom resistence.

On that note, there were a few DHX air protos around the Otter. There was one on that polished Nomad at the SCB booth. Good thing my camera was up at the campsite for four days... :rolleyes:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Cave Dweller said:

Well offroad motorcycles briefly went into the 13" range front and rear before coming back down to around 12" (+/- a half an inch) I thikn we will add travel as designs and tech allow. Eventually we will get to a point and say we went to far.

First DH bike s were "massive" at 4"
Then 6"...no way we could ever need more than 6"s
Then7,8,9ish now and hovering around 10. Basically because new shock tech and suspension design made it possible.

What is in the future? I don't know. I ride a 6.5" Dh bike that has a wheel base longer then most bikes.

People are always saying "WTH it is to much! Are they crazy?!?!" Eventually they will be right.....is that time now? Who knows?