Quantcast

Foes Racing Championship Mountain Bike Frames

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Hey Ya'll. If you ride or ever have ridden a Foes I want to know what you love/hate about it. Out on the East Coast I've noticed a lot of riders do the push-push parking lot test with my dhs mono or 4x and don't get it. I hear things like "Your rebound is too slow" or "It feels dead, it's all about the plush." I want to hear other peoples experiences who have ridden/raced on a Foes. Love it or hate it, I want to know! THANKS!

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I have an older DHS Mono, I road it with the stock Curnut shock for a few times and the biggest thing that i came away with from that shock was that it felt really dead. I'm not the heaviest guy out there so that did not help. Giving the parking lot push test will not tell you a lot about any shock. As for the frame the craftsmanship is great, the design is a bit outdated. (High BB). The bike is definitely a point and plow bike. There is not a hole lot of finesse to be had with it. I believe that foes tried to chance this a little with the new Dh bike but it is still a foes and their moto is Bigger is Better. I now have a Avalanche shock in the bike and am still getting used to it. There was a certain change in going to the shim stack shock from the SPV curnut. (I live on the East Coast)

R

rb92078

I haven't ridden one since 2001, but I do remember a couple of things.

1. A little on the heavier side.
2. Very long chainstays (hard to manual)
3. Held off camber corners like no ones business.
4. A little slow through tight sections.
5. Really stable at higher speeds, and held lines well when fatigued.

Overall the bike was great, but I have ridden better. The thing with Foes for me was it was not fun to ride but it raced really well.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
I have an older DHS Mono, I road it with the stock Curnut shock for a few times and the biggest thing that i came away with from that shock was that it felt really dead. I'm not the heaviest guy out there so that did not help. Giving the parking lot push test will not tell you a lot about any shock. As for the frame the craftsmanship is great, the design is a bit outdated. (High BB). The bike is definitely a point and plow bike. There is not a hole lot of finesse to be had with it. I believe that foes tried to chance this a little with the new Dh bike but it is still a foes and their moto is Bigger is Better. I now have a Avalanche shock in the bike and am still getting used to it. There was a certain change in going to the shim stack shock from the SPV curnut. (I live on the East Coast)
Ah yes, point and plow. Is that a bad thing? I learned how to MTB on a full rigid. I learned how to DH on a hardtail at Mammoth. What I love about my Foes is that you have to ride it with a hardtail mindset. What I mean is eyes way down trail following your line (point and plow), and an upright, weight on the front tire stance (Sam Hill) and feel the bike track the line. At race speed my mono feels anything but dead. I can feel both wheels reacting to the terrain nicely. It seems to find traction where I didn't know it existed. Yes, at slow speeds it feels like a pig. But get her up to speed and its easy to pick it up and put it down (finesse). Thanks for your input, I value your opinion. RESPECT!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
is that you neal?

i personally love both my DHS 2:1 and my RS7 2:1. i have the coil over on my DHS and the air on my RS7. the air shock did take some getting used to, but it pedals fantastic, is great on the high speed sections and corners like its on rails. the small bump sensitivity isnt so hot, even with running the shock at Big Mike at Foes lowest recommended PSI.
giving the Air and the coil over shocks the parking lot test will not get you a feel for the shock since they are position sensitive based
i think it would be the perfect bike, even with the Curnutt air, if it was more than 7" of travel.

i have two DH frames now and had their original DHS mono w/ a Avy/C Cycle (at the time) back in 2000

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
is that you neal?

i personally love both my DHS 2:1 and my RS7 2:1. i have the coil over on my DHS and the air on my RS7. the air shock did take some getting used to, but it pedals fantastic, is great on the high speed sections and corners like its on rails. the small bump sensitivity isnt so hot, even with running the shock at Big Mike at Foes lowest recommended PSI.
i think it would be the perfect bike, even with the Curnutt air, if it was more than 7" of travel.

ummmm is that why they are both for sale ?

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
is that you neal?

giving the Air and the coil over shocks the parking lot test will not get you a feel for the shock since they are position sensitive based

i have two DH frames now and had their original DHS mono w/ a Avy/C Cycle (at the time) back in 2000
Yeah it's me. I started this thread because I may be in the market for a new DH frame. I was thinking another Foes but I wanted to hear other riders experiences with Foes, good or bad. The past two weeks of riding made me fall in love with my bikes all over again. But I am curious about other rides. That Evil Revolt looks sick. I also like the new Morewood. But will I like the way they ride?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
anybody had any time on the 4x ? Looks interesting but I wonder how it rides, especially with the Curnutt.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yeah it's me. I started this thread because I may be in the market for a new DH frame. I was thinking another Foes but I wanted to hear other riders experiences with Foes, good or bad. The past two weeks of riding made me fall in love with my bikes all over again. But I am curious about other rides. That Evil Revolt looks sick. I also like the new Morewood. But will I like the way they ride?
the RS7 is fantastic. i think it wouldnt ride like a Foes if you got the Fox option instead of the XTD Coil or Air. for someone my size, 7" of travel isnt enough. for a wee man like yourself i think it would be perfect.

anybody had any time on the 4x ? Looks interesting but I wonder how it rides, especially with the Curnutt.
you didnt read the original post did you :clue:

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature

I've been racing/riding a 4x with Curnutt air for over a year now and I love it. Its like a little dh bike. Its really snappy out of corners. It peadals and accelerates like a hardtail. Ive taken it off 8ft plus drops with a nice tranny and it feels like butter. And it takes to the air with predictability and confidence. It is very stiff, shock and frame, so like all Foes it must be pushed to benefit from the suspension technology that was born from championship off-road racing. A four inch travel bike that runs one inch of sag and feels like a six inch bike at least. A great bike.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The thing that confuses me is everytime soembody describes the ride of a curnutt shock, it sound remarkably similar to a bike with a really bad sticky shock.

Anybody else find that? I've never tried one myself, just commenting on how people describe them.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I have always thought the valving on them felt superb, but suffered BADLY from seal drag. They will actually stop and stick for a second after they compress before they rebound. I've heard of people just replacing the main seal like they would on a 5th to remedy that. The low leverage on the new ones just seem to amplify the seal drag too.

The fork however is REALLY nice...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The thing that confuses me is everytime soembody describes the ride of a curnutt shock, it sound remarkably similar to a bike with a really bad sticky shock.

Anybody else find that? I've never tried one myself, just commenting on how people describe them.
they do feel particularly "sticky" but thats from the CVT designed shock. once rolling, they are great

The low leverage on the new ones just seem to amplify the seal drag too.
the newer bikes arent really 2:1 leverage ratio. my 10" DHS has a 4.5" stroke shock and my 7" RS& has a 3" stroke shock

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature

That stickyness only occurs in the sag. The shock likes to remain in its sag. There is no sticky feeling once the shock is in the main part of its travel, the travel after the initial sag is totally smooth. Have you ever sat on a dirt-bike? They sit or sag in the upper part of the suspension travel by design just like the Curnutt. That is what people don't fully understand in my opinion.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I had a Foes Mono with the Curnutt shock. Great bike, I miss it. I have my eye on the 2:1 Mono with the Foes Fork, but at retail, that's just a dream.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Curnutt feels like a poorly tuned 5th element. Small bumps rattle your teeth. You can feel the stiction of the Curnutt in your feet and hands. It was sort of a clunk feeling and sound. I thought it was terrible. I even sent the shock in to Foes and had them check it out. They told me everything was fine. I swapped to an Avy and all was good. On my second Foes I tried a Curnutt again. I thought maybe the first one was bad and Foes just couldnt figure it out. They also told me the valving was different. The second one felt exactly the same. I put an Avy on that bike too. Im not a fan of the Curnutt at all and I have heard this from a lot of guys locally. Most riders just got rid of their Foes bikes because they didnt like the Curnutt.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
i have 1 extra Xl and 1 medium left i think. so if you keep it, ill give Nolan the other one.
That's a great idea. Where are you riding this weekend so I can give you some $ for the jersey. I'd like to check out the next DH course at Platty but you probably will ride Diablo right? I have to pick Sat or Sun to ride in order to give my wife some much needed attention.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That's a great idea. Where are you riding this weekend so I can give you some $ for the jersey. I'd like to check out the next DH course at Platty but you probably will ride Diablo right? I have to pick Sat or Sun to ride in order to give my wife some much needed attention.
pm sent