Quantcast

Fontana Downhill?

Nov 9, 2005
Who is going and what level are you riding and on what bike? Also what times do practices open on saturday and what time does the race start?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just posted a thread about this.

Practice is from 7-9 am on sat. for beg/sport

The racing is at around noon I think

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, seriously. I saw that and thought, "well, there goes any chance of a decent time"

Unlike some people I don't have wed-fri off.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Ah ha. I thought he meant you go for the money or something. Which there isn't any of.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Transcend said:
Fontana - Where body armour has a whole different meaning!
May I suggest Dainese's new bullet-proof line of body armour?

For this race it looks like I'm going to be sleeping in the back of a Rover...for sure gonna get shot on:rofl:

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
screw subway and nogales, that taco shop is sooooo good! Shuttle lines will suck, hiking is where its at. I cant see how they would close the course after practice if you just wanted to hike

Nov 9, 2005
are the shuttle lines really long. It would be my first time going and i'm justifying wether its a good idea or not.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Don't go. It's gonna blow. The lines are gonna be long, it'll be crowded, and the practice times are jacked up. Just go to the Cal State 2-Run if you go to Fontana at all.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
SBDownhillRacer said:
are the shuttle lines really long. It would be my first time going and i'm justifying wether its a good idea or not.
Go and give me a ride with you...

Really now, I'm not expecting much from this event. I think it's going to be a giant cluster****, and generally not go off very well. No matter what though, racing in **** is better than not racing at all, IMO.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Bicyclist said:
Don't go. It's gonna blow. The lines are gonna be long, it'll be crowded, and the practice times are jacked up. Just go to the Cal State 2-Run if you go to Fontana at all.

It'll be interesting to see, they are going to use more trucks than a normal weekend, you have split practices, if your an expert it'll be golden as only experts ill be out there. It'll probably be about the same as a normal national were you stand in live forver to get on the lift then have a 10 or long ride to the top

and be thankful you have a place to race, it's look like we'll pretty much have no lift serviced races here in cali.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
Transcend said:
I think he means you get bad courses, long lines, rude people, expensive entry fees and barely any time to ride (at 7am).
I particularly liked how last year (atleast at Snowshoe) they scheduled expert DH at the same time as DS. i can't tell you how much i enjoyed sprinting after my DH run (that i crashed my brains out during) back to my condo, switching bikes and gear, sprinting back across the top of the mountain just in time to have COMPLETELY MISSED Slalom practice. If the norba nationals wasn't the only fricken race remotely near me this year, i'd be all over the boycott bandwagon.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Transcend said:
Awesome practice times. Go Norba.
That's pretty much what I said when I saw the schedule--it's pretty bad. I was planning to go on Friday, but now I have to scramble to work things out so I can go on Thursday. NORBA makes it really difficult for people who have to work for a living...

Bottom-line, if you can't get Friday off of work, then you might as forget about going. You would never get enough practice time in to even make it worth your while...

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
THEDUDE said:
All The Hotels Are Pay By The Hour
Probably because Fontana/Ontario is a big shipping hub for trucking and planes. You should check out the retirement community just off the freeway.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
blt2ride said:
NORBA makes it really difficult for people who have to work for a living...

Bottom-line, if you can't get Friday off of work, then you might as forget about going. You would never get enough practice time in to even make it worth your while...
Add the cost of missing a couple days work to the entry and shuttle fees and high cost of fuel for a 1 minute DH run? I'm depressed or maybe just disappointed. I think I'll pass on this event.

Nov 9, 2005
yea i'm leaning towards not goin at the moment, doesnt really sound worth my while, i may just stick around and ride some local trails.