Quantcast

For $1000, would you...

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Finals are over, so I'm a little bored right now. Saw this while wasting time. And so the question is... would you buy this for $1000?

Attachments

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Id ride it, for sure. Tubing is quality and you could do worse with a parts spec. Why not you brand whores?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Sure. It's a single pivot with a good parts spec.........where's the problem? Oh it isn't a popular name. Who cares, ride it and ride it faster than people on $5000 rigs.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
weyless 67 for people who can't read

good bike for the money, but don't expect it to handle or last as long as a name brand bike

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
joelsman said:
weyless 67 for people who can't read

good bike for the money, but don't expect it to handle or last as long as a name brand bike
Why? Its using the same exact tubing as many name brand bikes and is probably made in the same factories. Does a brand name sticker somehow magically make a bike last longer or something?

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
it's got Holzfellers, Z150, RAD tubing, Vice Stem, hayes hydros, decent WTB wheels, and a swinger piggyback. Something must be wrong with this bike that its selling for so cheap. Is supergo just so big that it can still make money at that price?

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
binary visions said:
No, I'd buy this for $1000 :drool: :

D70
Buy it, I have one and it's the best 1000$ I've spend in the last 10 years.

...and for the bike, also Yes, the components are very decent for that price, don't know much about the frame, but most people seem to like it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Save your $1000 and try and save more over the winter. Then buy a used bike or look for a cheaper bike in the $1500-up range.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
preppie said:
Buy it, I have one and it's the best 1000$ I've spend in the last 10 years.
The only reason I don't have one already is because of the holidays... I'm trying to spend my money on my family and not on myself ;)

Come spring, it will be mine... Oh yes, it will be mine...

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
merrrrjig said:
ya i saw that at supergo the other day. not that bad but bad flex in the back.

What's this about a flexy rear end? How do you know? Have you ridden one of these before?

I would say there are two things that could be a problem. The first is of course the quality, but that couldn't worse than alot of name brand bikes( cough cough trek cough cough). The second is the geometry. If this thing wasn't thoroughly tested, it could give a funky ass ride.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The old Weyless that had the "X" shaped tube contruction on the swingarm was notorious for being silly flexy. I rode one, and it wasn't great.
It looks like this new one is different. Maybe they addressed these issues.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Decent bike for the $$ but i'd spend money on the bikes i have. But if i didn't have a fr bike id get it to start out.

animal 52 said:
it's got Holzfellers, Z150, RAD tubing, Vice Stem, hayes hydros, decent WTB wheels, and a swinger piggyback. Something must be wrong with this bike that its selling for so cheap. Is supergo just so big that it can still make money at that price?
Buy it, worse case scenario...a few years down the road you crack the frame and buy a new one....buy it, ride it....and then take pics riding....DO IT DO IT! :D It actually looks alot like a Haro. Why not, a bikes a bike, its you that matters! I mean Eric Carter rides a mongoose hehehehe j/k :p :evil:

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Reliable sources tell me he doesn't really ride a mongoose. But if supergo will get intense to make me a bike, I'll put weyless stickers all over the damn thing and ride the crap out of it.

So it sounds like those in the know think the frame is poo. That's too bad. The parts are good, but a little heavier than what I'd go for unless the frame was good too, cause then the package would be a smokin deal. If anyone who has ridden one of these has anything good to say about them, please do chime in. Thought I doubt too many on this site would own a weyless.

I do seriously wonder if we're all getting ripped off thinking that brand and boutique bikes are really worth two or three times the price...