Quantcast

For the love of biking ...

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
couple months ago I ate my ****e ... taco'd my first MTB rim. No biggie, $60 later I have a nice sun rim setup ... The skewer latch in the new rim is a PITA.

Anyways ... I had a tuneup this week 'cause I've been riding the hell out of the bike ... I got it back yesterday and brought her out today for a ride.

1) one of the reasons I brought it in was because my front-left brake pad was eroded to the metal! When I got on, I heard a little scraping, but no big deal ... it was dead center and checked out ok ...

I've been having this problem on and off. I'll line it up center, nice and snug ... then 10 mins into a ride it'll be off-center ... :|

2) While riding, I heard the scraping get a little worse, then when I hit the front brakes on a curve, I heard one of the pads slip (*brrrick*) ... bout 30 seconds later ... there goes the tire!

Ends up it looks like the new brake pad spit up on the tread and sliced the biatch all the way around.

Think it's the skewer? rim? heaven forbid, the fork?

I'm heavy n' all, but c'mon folks!

All ideas appreciated ... :) TIA.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
1st: use loctite and some torque when installing

2nd: try new pads (assuming a new post comes with them, if you have the cartridge type, buy the whole new cartridge assembly)

3rd: check the calipers, make sure that everything checks out, including where the caliper are goes onto the post on the fork

if none of these work, take it to a shop

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
I'm gonna swing by later. Need a new tread anyways and I'm sure they'll swing a nice discount, since I wasn't even on the bike but 60 seconds before the rippage.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
If you just had it in for a tuneup, which general includes brake adjustments, the mech who worked on your bike should have checked the brake pads and they shouldn't have moved on you.

So it's probably the shops fault, but don't go in there hollering that you need free 5hit b/c they f'ed up. Just mention what happened and they should hook you up.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Originally posted by Matt D
If you just had it in for a tuneup, which general includes brake adjustments, the mech who worked on your bike should have checked the brake pads and they shouldn't have moved on you.

So it's probably the shops fault, but don't go in there hollering that you need free 5hit b/c they f'ed up. Just mention what happened and they should hook you up.
Naw, they're cool. I've actually been complimented by them before on my patience and understanding :) ... Sh!t happens.

I trust they'll be fair, and they trust I'll keep buyin' stuff there! LOL ...

------

I know what you mean though ... one of my buddies is always bitching about stuff ... for someone who's never had an expensive hobby before, they just don't get it ...

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
This is not even a real expensive hobby. Calipers for my autocross car: $437(each), pads $70pair, tires(that only last two hundred miles) $120 This car is now someone elses joy/problem.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Originally posted by Rev.Chuck
This is not even a real expensive hobby. Calipers for my autocross car: $437(each), pads $70pair, tires(that only last two hundred miles) $120 This car is now someone elses joy/problem.

Well ... I meant if you were to upgrade or get A+ parts whenever possible.

Anyways ... my temporary update is that they did me right and put on a new tred ... and I ended up buying a new skewer, since the old one was a pure PITA since I got it.

I hit the road for a few miles earlier, and think this may have done the trick ...

I'll post more if I have a prob :)