Quantcast

For the SADISTIC racers

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I like how they imply that a "weekend warrior" could do it.

I'm in pretty decent shape, definitely better than the average "weekend warrior", and the idea of doing that race sounds pretty daunting. But who knows, maybe I could... :confused:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Echo

I'm in pretty decent shape, definitely better than the average "weekend warrior", and the idea of doing that race sounds pretty daunting. But who knows, maybe I could... :confused:
Of course you could - if you prepared. I don't think I've ever climbed 17,000' on one ride. THAT sounds tough.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think it would be really tough to prepare for, first because I can't train at altitude, and second because we don't have any climbs even remotely close to that around me... so all I can do to train is spinning and intervals, I dunno if that would be enough :(

But I bet the scenery would be incredible, like they said, and the feeling of finishing would be pretty awesome :)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I think it would be really tough to prepare for, first because I can't train at altitude, and second because we don't have any climbs even remotely close to that around me... so all I can do to train is spinning and intervals, I dunno if that would be enough :(

But I bet the scenery would be incredible, like they said, and the feeling of finishing would be pretty awesome :)
The long distance races RULE because really, every finisher should be honored - 100 milers are hard. Sure, it's nice to win them, but finishing is almost enough.

I guess I take the hills and mountains here in SoCal for granted.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Heidi
The long distance races RULE because really, every finisher should be honored - 100 milers are hard. Sure, it's nice to win them, but finishing is almost enough.

I guess I take the hills and mountains here in SoCal for granted.
Looks like they're gonna give a medal to all the finishers, which is cool.

Some of those crazy Californians made me pedal up mountains when I was out there for Christmas, it wasn't so bad... I could get used to it :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I am going to try out the Shenandoah 100 this year. A little less climbing than the MTB 100 and with the max altitude of only 4200 ft you do not have to be too concerned with altitude training.
http://www.mtntouring.com/htm/home.htm

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Which one? I probably stand a better chance of surviving the one in VA, the only endurance racing I've done is the 6 hours of Power.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
For some strange sadistic reason, I'm finding myself actually wanting to try one of these things.
I think you should go for it. I'll do one if you will. :p :D :rolleyes:

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
For some strange sadistic reason, I'm finding myself actually wanting to try one of these things.
So would I! Anybody want a slow girl who can barely ride on their team?:( Anybody? Anybody?

Oh Well guess I'll go it alone. :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I just gotta make sure it doesn't conflict with any other stuff, if the schedule's a go then I think I'm gonna give it a run :devil:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I thought these 100 milers were solo deals...
Most are. The Durango one can be done as a 3 person team though. Then each person only does roughly 33 miles.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I thought these 100 milers were solo deals...
They maybe solo deals, but moral support, taunting and egging on will probably be needed to finish.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
OK - I'm considering Shenandoah now. I have to do at least one 100 miler this year, maybe I'll make that the one.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Heidi
OK - I'm considering Shenandoah now. I have to do at least one 100 miler this year, maybe I'll make that the one.
I printed off the map, I'll go scope out the situation and report. Shoule take me a month or so to check out the whole 100 miles.

I've already put it in my head that I'm doing it.

I reckon this is just another "thing" for me to do. Done the 24 hours thing a few times, 6 hour solo, DH races........now it's time to do the 100 miler.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by The Toninator
Really!!!! when do you think you will make your decision?
Well, I'm waiting to see when the Durango 100 is. Why, are you going to do it? We could have a big monkey meeting!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by The Toninator
have they decided on a month yet?
Durango is supposed to be mid to late August, the Shenandoah is August 31. That's Labor Day weekend so I wouldn't have to take Monday off.