Quantcast

for the sport climbing monkeys

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
While out on my deck I realized something. I can set up sings and quick draws all along my padio cover and sport climb above my deck.

It also dawned on me that this would be possible at say a playground or something else of the sort. Anybody else tried this before?

maybe setting sp slings and draws ont he monkey bars then like up the underside of the stair sets and stuff.

think that would at all be possible?

oh and for the padio cover, its not solid, its like 4x4's across spaced like 5 inches apart.

more details in second post. woop

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
here is my idea. i just set up 2 since i had 2 runners for my slack line out

this would go across then i would mix it up and maybe zig zag across the top

also note that if this does go down, i might ditch the second carabiner and the dogbone or sling, whatever you want to call it, so the rop is closer to the top rather than hanging down so much

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thats cool, but you may run out of patio cover. You could build a wall going vertically up through the cover, then have a ceiling like cover on top of the vertical wall.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
mtnbrider said:
Thats cool, but you may run out of patio cover.

yea thats why i was thinking about doin a kinda sig zag across. it would be a short little traverse across it but it would be somewhat practice for clipping in upside down or whatever

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
morethanjake543 said:
Could the wood really support any holds being attached to it? Because it it could, I think I'd be at your place every day setting routes and stuff.

dunno but im thinking a play ground would work really good

mindlessfr

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
richmond, va
my friend set up some climbing holds on the underside of his front steps and front porch its pretty sweet....i really wish i could go climbing but i tore my acl when i fell wrong back in early november it was a short fall just landed on an uneven rock when i was warming up to climb

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
So is there really a purpose to what you're doing. It looks like something we'd put together after a night of drinking. Are you actually planning on belaying or just trailing the rope? No offense to you and you're climbing prowess but this is how bad things happen.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wow. What a great idea. Suspend yourself from a rope on your patio. This is a sport? You should just set up a hammock instead.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
RITFreeRider said:
So is there really a purpose to what you're doing. It looks like something we'd put together after a night of drinking. Are you actually planning on belaying or just trailing the rope? No offense to you and you're climbing prowess but this is how bad things happen.

yea i plan on climbing my patio

but yea ill have somebody belaying.

the pic was just the general idea of the concet, its not what i planned on doing. its gonna be more complex

and BS yea im jsut gonna hang there and look dumb :rolleyes:

not it would be legit if i could get some holds up too

like a mini route to do when you and your friends have nothing to do

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
SkaredShtles said:
There are trees in your picture, dumba$$. :rolleyes:
:nuts:

Those trees ain't no good for climbing sonny.

:nuts:

I like the idea. Good training for clips and stuff. Personally I just use the stairs in my apartment as a training ground for bouldering. Really need to get around to cleaning them though, I always end up with dirty hands afterwards. Oh well, I would say some strength testing is needed before any serious climbing is done.

As a kid we had a swing set attached to a porch cover like that. It seemed sturdy enough.

The Ito