Quantcast

For those in Murica - how many states have you ridden in?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Even though I'm Canuckistani, I wanna add my pathetic tally to the list.

Florida
Tennessee
New York
Massachusetts
West Virginia

Ontario
Quebec
British Columbia

That's a pretty shitty list for 53 years of riding foot cycles in the dirt.
At least you made it to Florida

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was racing boats from 2006-2008. I joined the mens team at WSU because I was getting sober in college and had all sorts of free time and energy to burn. We are a sport-club so we did all the fund raising and had no school assistance aside from van usage and they gave us a raquetball court to erg in.

Aside from winning a 2k dual with our local rivals - Gonzaga, one of the funnest races I was in, we won a petite final at the SDCC. Its even on the webz...

I was 5 seat
Ah. I was Jr. at Newport Aquatic Center 97-98 - #7 in eight and stroke in four. Then at Cal 98- Spring '00, #7 or #2 in 2nd freshman eight or #3 or #2 in JV four. Being port or starboard equally strong helped a lot.

One of the funniest stories I have is from SDCC... The 2nd freshman boat was supposed to be racing in the JV races, so none of us really gave a shit. So, we went to TJ and got ruined. Next morning while we were dragging our asses down to the boats, we found out that our coach had arranged a legacy race against us. The other boat were all graduates - all but two were Olympians. Even though they were in their 30-50's and had never been in a boat together, they fucking destroyed us. Like, 250m destroyed. #6 caught a crab so bad he almost came out of the boat. Half of us were puking our brains out after the finish. Still won the JV races, but damn, it was a rough day.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
California (both southern and northern)
Oregon
Washington

I don't get out much.
Not missing much TBH. Colorado is about the only place I'd say a western based american mountainbiker should get to.

I tend to gravitate towards good riding, not belt notches. It's not like you get a free sammich after 10 punches. You already live by a lot of the best stuff IMO

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
@stoney Sounds like fun!

When I joined, I was recovering from when I broke my back street riding the dirt jumper on campus. I refused to be starboard or port. I learned both sides evenly and could row any seat. No way was I going to let my back get all imbalanced rowing one side. I still dont know which side is port / starboard, just throw me in the boat!

It was fun and helped me stay sober - if I could go back I would join as a true freshman and really race some boats.

-------------

Arizona is probably numero uno on my list of places to take a winter MTB trip. I'd like to get up into the Upper Peninsula also. I hear amazeballs things about UP but that shit is so far away. Its got knarly weather too. I hear the skeeters are massive.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sounds like fun!

When I joined, I was recovering from when I broke my back street riding the dirt jumper on campus. I refused to be starboard or port. I learned both sides evenly and could row any seat. No way was I going to let my back get all imbalanced rowing one side. I still dont know which side is port / starboard, just throw me in the boat!

It was fun and helped me stay sober - if I could go back I would join as a true freshman and really raced some boats.
I started as port in HS. After I fucked my shoulder snowboarding over winter break, I had to switch over to starboard. Then, once it fully healed, I could bounce back and forth. I did end up starboard the majority in college though, and still lean left when I sit - 25 years later.

Racing at Cal made me learn what real competition and hard work was. Our first eight had 3 Olympians. Of the recruited guys (18 of us), 7 were international and raced in Jr national boats, 8 were from state champion boats (MA, WA, CA, NH, VT), and the rest were beasts - 6'6"+, 220#, elite in some other sport - ready to learn, and then we had 3 or 4 walk-on's. We were just expected to hold 1:32/500m or lower on a 10k and 2k at 1:20/500m for baselines. Anything above that and you weren't getting into a boat, because there were 24 of us vying for 16 seats. Fucking nuts thinking about it now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wait...What....There is a hill?
Sure the fuck was nowhere around Sebring. :rofl:
Damn, you missed the hill...... It was about and hour and a half north of you. People travel from all over to coast their bikes down the hill. It's a six second experience you simply won't find anywhere else!

freebie for the no context thread
It's a six second experience you simply won't find anywhere else!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not missing much TBH. Colorado is about the only place I'd say a western based american mountainbiker should get to.

I tend to gravitate towards good riding, not belt notches. It's not like you get a free sammich after 10 punches. You already live by a lot of the best stuff IMO
When I first started riding in San Diego, I thought it was pretty rad. But when I moved to Portland and went to Black Rock and Post Canyon the first few times, I was blown away. And that was when there were just trails ('94). In 2000 when I got my Stinky, shit got real. :rofl:

I still haven't ridden a ton in Bend, but I hope to this year. But the forest riding here is epic. Hell, even some of the illegal runs in Forest Park are bad ass.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bet post canyon area would be way fun on a dirtbike.
It really is. Lots of ruts, roots, and rocks with big ass trees and ferns everywhere. It's lots of 2nd and 3rd gear out of the seat tossing the bike around. But that's the shit I love. I like China Hat because you can really open it up in spots, but any jackass can go fast. Give me a steep rock section that takes clutch and gas work and no dabs.

<edit> I watch WAY too much Graham Jarvis. :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What I remember most about Bend was a spectacular multi meat breakfast. As far as riding, I did enjoy some sections of Phil's trails.
Yes fun sections, but I wouldn't make an Oregon trip hit just Bend, lots of other good areas to include on the way through.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yes fun sections, but I wouldn't make an Oregon trip hit just Bend, lots of other good areas to include on the way through.
I haven't ridden anything on the east side of the state but literally EVERYTHING else I've ridden in oregon is better than the spandotrails in bend :rofl:

Bend made Kurt Voreis, retired DH racer and dirtjumping badass.........start riding 29ers. I mean there's really no more telling condemnation.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hm. I'm gonna count NJ because I was a kid there and biked everywhere and even went on some of the trails around Farrington Lake on my Schwinn Sierra MOS in high school before I really even knew what MTB was but after I had a mountain bike once the GT Performer freestyle bike era was over. (not that I knew how to ride it, but it was pink and had a rotor.)

Anyway--hmm. NJ, RI, VA, MD, WV, NC, GA, FL, CA, NV, NM, CO, WA, UT. Possibly AZ?

I rode a short section on JBP's fatbike at his place in VT once, too...