Quantcast

For those that still "read".

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Maybe this has been posted here before, but I stumbled across a website yesterday called Manybooks.net. Tons of e-books available for free down loadable in many formats. Got "The Jungle" and a book called "the Year When Stardust Fell" on my Kindle and they seem to be legit. There are no new titles, they all seem to be older books, but if you want some old classics to read they have a bunch. I like books, even e-books.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I still read and it's with paper books. Debating between the Kindle and just getting an ipad. Tried em both, like em both. Just hard to tear myself away from actually holding a book.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I still read and it's with paper books. Debating between the Kindle and just getting an ipad. Tried em both, like em both. Just hard to tear myself away from actually holding a book.
I'm in the same boat, I see the appeal of a kindle or ipad but there is still something about holding a book and flipping pages. I feel like I stare at computer/phone screens all day so it's kind of refreshing to read something that is actual print.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I still prefer actual paper books. I like my kindle but would never actually pay for one, mine was an unclaimed left behind on one of our airplanes. I mostly use it for things like these free copies of old books and classics. Amazon gives away lots of old stuff too. I've gotten all the Sherlock Holmes books, Moby Dick, Tale of two Cities and others, all free from Amazon. Mostly reading for down time. A book I'm genuinely interested in I'll go out and buy. I bought The Big Short and Third World America in hard cover for example even though they are available on the kindle.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I have been reading ebooks since the palm pilot days. I love having a library in my pocket. Reading from a screen doesn't bother me at all. Probably because that's what screens are for.

Publishers need to sell a straight text files, new books $2, older books $1. I'm not ever going to buy into somebody's "system." And I'm not paying the same for a digital copy as a paper book. Until they sell me cheap text files, they can kiss my hairy ass.

Over the years, via FTP, Newgroups and torrent, I have picked up about 15 Gigs of books. Yeah, 15 Gigs of text files. I don't even really know what the **** is in that folder. Every now and then, I dig around a little bit and send 10 books to my iphone 4.

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
yeah...downloading a file with 600 books in it in less than a minute works for me.
That's exactly what I did when I bought my iPad. After deleting all of the books I was disinterested in or had already read, I am down to ~100 books. at first I wasn't too sure about reading on my iPad but so far I haven't had a problem.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have enough fragile gadgets around the house that I need to keep up and away from my kids. The nice thing about books is aside from possibly loosing my page the kids can't easily break them. (aside from ripping an occasional page out of course)