digging/building. There also has been some use of Round-Up (weed killer) in
clearing new (unauthorized) trails in the Mammoth Bar moto park. All of
this is causing the dh/fr crowd to look pretty bad in the view of the
rangers, and has the local xc riders worried they will start to see trail
closures as a result. Fortunately I am still able to speak on our behalf
to try to add some balance to the discussion, but it hasn't been much fun
lately. I'd ask that if you enjoy riding in Auburn you do a few simple
things to keep the peace. Digging in the park has to stop, this is really
causing a lot of problems. Don't ride the illegal trails. Try to be extra friendly to the other user groups you encounter while riding outside of the moto park (multi use trails). If we can do these simple things it will go a long way to helping the situation. A few of us are still working on plans for a legal dh/fr trail to be built in the park sometime in the next couple of years. The river canyon is a great place to ride, lets all do our parts to keep it that way.

Thanks,
Jesse

Post up any questions or comments and I'll answer as best I can.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
i would like to say, if i find whoever is building crap on tunnel trail, i am going to rip your balls off and eat them.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Yes, those stunts are part of the problem. Very poorly built and right where everyone has to look at them....and then there was the fool who got his truck stuck down off tunnel trail a couple weeks ago.
Amazing stuff.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Yea, but I have to say something in the defense of those building. Things in Nor Cal are insane, and they're spreading. I guess some people just naturally react to people imposing limits on open land by saying "Oh yea, **** you buddy" and going to work with crappy materials building things that get people hurt.

Mind you I am not defending them, just trying to give a point of view.

Have you thought as opposed to force castrating folks and then forcing them to ingest their own balls about trying some sort of amnesty project? When I was rolling around those parts, that was one way we slowed the building of new and illegal bits of trail and features. You'll never stop it all out, even if they close the trails, people will still be building, riding and being dicks.

Just my two cents.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
dhtahoe said:
Cough, Cough FRED. You know who I mean I think. Heard him bragging about it once.

fred? round-up? haha... wasn't that awhile ago? I've see the culprit many times riding tunnel on week nights...

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Yeti DHer said:
fred? round-up? haha... wasn't that awhile ago? I've see the culprit many times riding tunnel on week nights...
Well have you done anything. I sure a man of your size should do the trick. Yeah Fred was a bit ago, but old habits die hard.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I'm all for new stunts and stuff.

However, I'm not for new stunts and stuff that jepordize the legality of the trails we already ride.

I wish there could be a compromise, but from what I hear, we're stuck with what we've got. Auburn is still awesome, so I have nothing against that.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
dhtahoe said:
Well have you done anything. I sure a man of your size should do the trick. Yeah Fred was a bit ago, but old habits die hard.
I hardly ride auburn much anymore... let alone touch my bikes. It's definently not me...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Ok, again it might just be me, but...

The situation in Auburn, N. Cal, and N. Nevada is in large part due to the MTB and specifically DH/Freeride communities sitting back and letting it happen. The Sierra Club is a bunch of dirty hippies, and the Equestrian groups are a bunch of rich deusch bags who if for lack of money wouldn't have an original thought to rub together.

Freeride, downhill and stunts are your birth right out there. Fight back or give up.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Mike, I don't believe that Fred is the culprit this time.
As for stunts etc. being our birthright.... that's stretching it a bit. We do have every bit as much right to use the trails as any other group, but that doesn't mean they are ours to do with as we please. Same goes for equestrians and hikers. We get upset when other user groups mess with the trails we like to ride, and we can't blame others for feeling the same way. Multi use trails are for all user groups.
This is why I (and a few others) have been working towards a dh/fr trail in the park. One that incorporates jumps, drops and stunts, with A and B lines so those of all skill levels can enjoy the trial. This is slow going as with any bureaucracy, and not many of the dh/fr crowd are willing to put in the time it takes. I know it is easier to bitch about how it all sucks, but this gets us nowhere. Sure It's quicker to go out and build a stunt off tunnel trail (or where ever) illegally, but this isn't helping the situation, it's hurting us all. This whole childish 'I'm gonna do what I want anyway' mentality needs to stop. As time goes on and I need more help with this project, I will be calling on the those of you who enjoy the canyon to make a showing.
Thanks.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Nice post, 1soulrider. We've got some of the same problems in the Santa Cruz area. A lot of the newer and/or younger riders are impatient with the bureaucratic process, and just go out and build trails and stunts, not understanding how much that undercuts the folks that have been working for legal access and plays into the hands of the antibike crowd.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
1soulrider said:
Mike, I don't believe that Fred is the culprit this time.
As for stunts etc. being our birthright.... that's stretching it a bit. We do have every bit as much right to use the trails as any other group, but that doesn't mean they are ours to do with as we please. Same goes for equestrians and hikers. We get upset when other user groups mess with the trails we like to ride, and we can't blame others for feeling the same way. Multi use trails are for all user groups.
This is why I (and a few others) have been working towards a dh/fr trail in the park. One that incorporates jumps, drops and stunts, with A and B lines so those of all skill levels can enjoy the trial. This is slow going as with any bureaucracy, and not many of the dh/fr crowd are willing to put in the time it takes. I know it is easier to bitch about how it all sucks, but this gets us nowhere. Sure It's quicker to go out and build a stunt off tunnel trail (or where ever) illegally, but this isn't helping the situation, it's hurting us all. This whole childish 'I'm gonna do what I want anyway' mentality needs to stop. As time goes on and I need more help with this project, I will be calling on the those of you who enjoy the canyon to make a showing.
Thanks.
Count me in on that trail. Now that I am the Dh cordinator for SOC that could be used as leverage... A person who builds trails as a job helping to design and build this new trail...

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Count me in as well. I'm pretty sure I can get a few other kids to help when needed, too.

I'll only help, however, if we can keep this trail poison oak -less. No matter how careful I am when I'm in auburn, I always get the rash. Lame.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
yea reed, you get the clap.

ill help with whatever, the clap or not, i dont get it.

so if you need any help with anything at all, just drop him^^ and I a PM.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
It's good to hear everyone voicing their support. I should get a (e)mailing list together of all of you interested in helping out. If you ride Auburn, and would be willing to help dig when the time comes send me an email at dhchuses@surewest.net
There also maybe a meeting or two in the future where it would be usefull to demonstrate we have people will to show up to help.

I'm afraid I can't promise that there won't be any pioson oak...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Good luck guys, I wish I was there to help out. Keep the solid work, and it will come together if you're patient enough.

Kidwoo: What do you mean the "Yankee side of Tahoe." I'm a sixth generation Nevadan, I might take that kinda personal.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
hmm an old thread brought back from the dead. but still important. I'm totally down with reed and matt about helping out to build some stuff, Poison oak eradication would be nice as its on my list of stuff after world domination. I hate people who build on the trails, they don't consider that there are other people who ride/walk the trails. if you make seperate trails made for different levels it would be awesome. since its been about 6 months are there any updates on this?