Quantcast

For UST rims: UST tires, tube tires +stans?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have been running Mavic UST rims and UST tires (Conti Vertical Pro 2.3) on my trail bike with good success. I also toss in a little bit of Stans for insurance and have had few flats. The tires need replacing now, though.

There are three options: UST tires, tube tires and Stans sealant or UST tires and keep some Stans in there as well.

I like the idea of saving some weight and having a variety of options (I do have a Kenda BG 2.35 single ply that's been sitting here...) but I also don't like fixing flats, constantly having to air up my tires or in general being hassled.

So, the question is: is the security of UST tires worth the extra weight, cost and loss of options? Eithe way, I definitely want to run tubeless, so the "well if it leaks uncontrollably, just stick a tube in it" argument has no value. I don't have the cash to keep buying tires that work.

If it helps, I ride a Giant VT. I am a decent sized dude ('bout 185) and ride reasonably hard...definitely pushing on the downhills....but I could certainly use any possible "help" on the ups.....

mtbslcruz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2005
Farmington NM
I run tubeless on all my bikes.I have rolfs on my ss,bontragers on my xc racebike and mavics on my trailbike and I run regular single wall tires on all of them with stans in them.I havent had a problem yet and I have been runnung them for almost 2 years like that.Iam also a decent size guy (about 190) and tide a blur as a trailbike with 2.2 kenda karma tires.On my ss I have continental explorer supersonics and on my xc racer I have python 2.0.Give it a try,it works great.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The disadvantage to Stan's particularly with non-UST tires is it is sometimes a real bear to air up. If you have a compressor it's pretty easy but a foot pump, like last night, can sometimes not be enough to do the trick. And if you change tires often, you'll go through a fair bit of sealant and it's messyness.

Last night I was installing a set of wire bead, maxxis 2.3 Minions on a Stan stripped set of Mavic 729 rims. the front went on easily but the rear tire had been sitting under a stack of tires and had been pressed flat over time so the beads wouldn't push out against the edges of the rim strip. I sacrificed a CO2 as a last resort and it worked fine. These tires will likely be on until they need replacing. I may ditch the rims soon and get 823 as a replacement.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I use UST tubeless with Stan's. It's about the same weight as a tire and tube, and the tougher casing stands up to punishment better than an non tubeless tire. With the Stan's inside it seals any puncture you get, never had a flat running it. It is lighter than a tire and slime tube.

I have used non-ust tires with Stan's. Generally a bear to air up, if you get a sidewall gash it won't generally seal. It is lighter than USt tubeless, and I'd consider running it again if I were seriously racing cross country.

I run both on maVic rims (crossmax enduros, and xm-819 disc), so I can't really comment on how well the Stan's strips work, but I've never heard any major complaints.

I'm about 185 and ride fairly hard, in Arizona, land of rock and cactus.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Thanks guys. I decided to go with UST + stans. Got a new pair of Michelin All Mountain 2.2 USTs. Too bad my bike was stolen....gotta fix that now...