Quantcast

Fork and Shock suggestions for Wifey's 2003 BigHit

WhozDaMastah

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
Hello Fellow Riding Primates-

About 10 years ago, the missus and I were just getting started in the downhill/freeride scene, then life hit us.

Needed to go to college, get a career, get a car, get home. . . yada, yada, yada.

Now the wifey wants to get back on her bike (2003 Specialized Bighit Comp, size small) and me not being a bike mechanic will be bringing her bike to one of our local bike shop for some TLC in a couple of weeks. But I'm kinda worried about her Marzocchi Dirt Jumper ll fork and Fox Vanilla rear shock being shot after being stored away for so long and I was wondering if you folks could give me some replacement suggestions?

She doesn't want to spend too much $$$ on these items, in fact what ever recommendations you folks make, I'll be checking out our local Craiglist, Ebay, bike classifieds and anywere I can get a great deal.

Oh, getting a new bike for her is outta the question :(

By the way, the missus is 5'4" and weighs around 140lbs. after she uses the bathroom.

Thanks to all those who reply.

W

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My wife rode the same bike for a few years. Get the rear shock PUSHed for her weight and riding style. Get rid of that front fork too. An air DH Lyric or Fox van with the lightest spring would be my choice for a front fork.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Pretty much what kntr said. I know a few girls that ride DH (including my wife), and air sprung forks seem to work well as sometimes it isn't easy to find the correct coil spring stiffness for light riders. And, with Rockshox, as he mentioned, the DH damper is the way to go. The Lyrik has a few options in that department, but the DH damper will work best for what you're looking for.

I replaced the an old, beat up, low end Marz 66 on my wife's gravity rig last year, and went with a Totem RC2 DH Solo Air. For her, the damping is set up pretty soft since she isn't smashing corners or hucking any gnar.

Also, a couple other options could be a newer Marz 55 or 66 with the RC3 damper, X-Fusion Vengeance.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My wife is 135 and runs a Fox Van Kashima 180 (coil) with the light spring and it works great. The only COIL forks that work for girls this light seems to be Fox IMO.

No other brands make a coil light enough for 130-140 girl riders. Yes, they work great for aggressive 130-140lb men, but most women need a softer spring at that weight.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
No other brands make a coil light enough for 130-140 girl riders. Yes, they work great for aggressive 130-140lb men, but most women need a softer spring at that weight.
My younger brother is a beginner rider and he weighs around 120 with gear. He's using a 2007 Marzocchi 66 RV and the Medium springs are fine with slightly lower oil height to make it more linear. The stock spring and oil heights is fine for me @140 lbs.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My younger brother is a beginner rider and he weighs around 120 with gear. He's using a 2007 Marzocchi 66 RV and the Medium springs are fine with slightly lower oil height to make it more linear. The stock spring and oil heights is fine for me @140 lbs.
MOST girls ride different than boys. My wife has tried a ton of COIL forks and she could never get full travel. Marzocchi soft springs never worked in her 66. I even ran her 66 with NO springs and just the air assist like Marzocchi suggested. It worked "fine" but felt like crap. I don't see how a medium would work for your brother, but then again he is a boy. Most boys ride faster and harder than girls. Air forks or coil Fox forks are the only forks Ive got to work for my wife.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
MOST girls ride different than boys. My wife has tried a ton of COIL forks and she could never get full travel. Marzocchi soft springs never worked in her 66. I even ran her 66 with NO springs and just the air assist like Marzocchi suggested. It worked "fine" but felt like crap. I don't see how a medium would work for your brother, but then again he is a boy. Most boys ride faster and harder than girls. Air forks or coil Fox forks are the only forks Ive got to work for my wife.
There you go: http://youtu.be/OzjgIr3z87A?hd=1&t=25s

First a slow motion clip (25% of full speed) and the rest of the movie shows the fork. He got both springs (medium, blue) and 7,5wt oil. 15 or 20 cc less than recommended in each leg. And no air preload of course.

Sounds weird it didn't work out with the soft spring kit, I hope you can find a solution.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
There you go: http://youtu.be/OzjgIr3z87A?hd=1&t=25s

First a slow motion clip (25% of full speed) and the rest of the movie shows the fork. He got both springs (medium, blue) and 7,5wt oil. 15 or 20 cc less than recommended in each leg. And no air preload of course.

Sounds weird it didn't work out with the soft spring kit, I hope you can find a solution.
Her 66 was an 08. The 07 springs might have been softer.

Edit: I just watched your vid. He doesn't look like he is using much travel and it didn't sag much when he started to ride, but then again the trail wasn't too steep.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
My wife's bike has a Fox 36 Talas and a DHX air. Great combo for tuning a bike to a lighter rider. They can also be had for a reasonable price on the secondary market. While not DH worthy for a fast rider, they will definitly be enough for a lighter intermediate

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Her 66 was an 08. The 07 springs might have been softer.

Edit: I just watched your vid. He doesn't look like he is using much travel and it didn't sag much when he started to ride, but then again the trail wasn't too steep.
Ahh, that explains it. A friend of me had a 66 rcv 08. With medium springs it was fine for him at 170-180 lbs.

Yeah it's a pretty flat trail with no jumps or anything, but he can bottom it out by jumping 2-3 foot to flat.

I had a Roco Air WC on my previous bike. A great air shock for downhill. I'm selling it now, it's 8,75x2,75, pm for details if it fits and you're interested. I'm also selling my 66 RC2x 2007 which would fit her weight very well., but it has a 1,5" steerer tube, so it will most likely not fit I guess.

Last edited:

WhozDaMastah

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
Keep the suggestions a'comin everyone. This thread will be great for those that want to set up the suspensions for the female persuations.

Again, mass thanks to all of you tjat responds.

W

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Could never get my 888 "soft" enough, went through multiple springs direct from Marzocchi (few years back), the best I could do was get it "acceptable", but it always seemed oversprung. I don't think they made a soft spring for a while or you couldn't get it, I was kind of "on the edge" though and I think a malfunctioning damping cartridge was partly to blame (replace with customizable one). Then I lost about 60lbs and I was really screwed.

So I got inventive. Ordered one of the OLD (pre 2008) 888 "heavy" kits, you know, back when forks had TWO springs. I took ONE of those, made a spacer out of PVC, and viola, I'm happy with the spring rate. When you get to the extreme's of weight, you gotta get a little inventive, and unfortunately they are not making "his and hers" shocks and forks yet, and they are not even offering multiple valvings when you buy a new bike (just take whatever comes on it). Given my experience with shock damping, and one more shock I have to revalve (was able to revalve fork and it's nice now), I'd also imagine that the shock damping would be pretty screwed up if she's real light, if it feels adequate to you, it's probably way overdamped for her, especially if she's not "attacking" at race speeds.