Quantcast

Fork / Headset creaking.

excessive

Chimp
Jun 4, 2004
SC
I ride a Specialized Enduro Pro, and i have creaking noises coming from the headset area. It has a Fox Vanilla 125R fork, and a Chris King headset. The headset is tight, and the creaknig started this season when I put on the Fox fork. I had a Rock Shox on there before (junk) and it didn't creak with the Rock Shox.

No matter how hard I tighten the star Nut or stem bolts, I still get creaks. I don't want to to over-tighten the bolts.

Anyone else have/had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
is the fork new or used. The first fox forx creaked in the crowns, nothing to worry about apparently. They've since started using a different loctite and supposedly the newer forks don't creak.

excessive

Chimp
Jun 4, 2004
SC
thanks for the replies, it most likely is the fork, since that's the only thing that was changed this season, and It didn't creak with the Rock Shox.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
It "sounds" like you might have a crack. My buddy's M4 S Works did the same thing. I greased everything and look it apart because I couldn't figure where the creaking was coming from. I was about the rebuild it when I found a few hairline cracks near shock mount plates. He got an S Works Epic as a replacement.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Everyone on here is right, check the obvious, then go on to the things that might take a little more looking for.

IF you have a question about things being tight through the star nut, try using a headlock device and see if you can tighten it up. I have found that you can get things much more snug this way and in some cases eliminate creaks and noises.

Usuall creaks mean somethings dry or cracked, was the headset installed with greese all over the cups? Did they press in ok? Check around the headtube for any cracks etc....

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
i have a 2002 enduro that had a creaking problem that i thought was coming from the headset. i took off the fork and headset, but there was still a creak. the sound was coming from the metal end caps of the derailleur lines rubbing against the line guides. replaced the lines, and no more creaking.