Quantcast

Fork installation

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Hey Hey!

I just bought a brand new 2001 X-Vert Super. I'm wondering if I'll install it myself or if I'll ask my LBS to install it for me.

1st Question:
Does anybody know if I'll have to cut the tube to fit it on a 2000 FSR XC.

2nd Question:
The only grease I have is the Super Lube grease (with teflon). Is is appropriate to grease the HeadSet?

Thanks a lot!

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
1. Yes, you will likely have to cut the fork to fit the frame. Use either a hacksaw or a good pipe cutter. Both ways, make sure to angle the edge of the steerer tube around the top using a grinder or file to get rid of any roughness.

2. Super Lube goes really liquidy and leaks out of the headset. I suggest a good, sticky, waterproof grease like Bullshot. I've also found Shimano's Dura-Ace great very good.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I totally agree! We need a lot more mechanical questions and answers on RM!

I would say it's one of the reasons why I still like emm tee bee arrh. There are still a lot of great discussions about bike mechanics over there and not enough over here.

We just have to post... :p

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I would suggest that you NOT use a hacksaw, as the chances of you making a mistake while cutting are great. ONLY use a good pipe cutter! I have had this tragedy occur once and it sucked!

I agree that mtbr had more technical discussions, but my idea of "good technical discussion" doesn't involve forty 14 year old posers telling me how much I suck because I bought a Brand X widget as opposed to the markedly "superior" equipment that they (most likely don't) own. Problem here is that 90% of all threads start talking about disk brakes (for example) and end up talking about who has the coolest house plants in their apartment.

My two pfenning (soon to be "Euro cents")