Quantcast

Fork Rebuild

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Okay, I've got a 2002 Manitou Six Deluxe thats pretty trashed. I rode it through the winter, and by spring I noticed it was getting really stiff and not really...working. Took it to the shop, they said I'd pretty much just drained the oil out of it by riding in wet conditions. They said they could try rebuilding it for like 35 bucks, but it might not fix the problem. I bought a new Marzo and now the old Manitou is sitting in a box. Its a nice fork, on par with the newer Skarebs (Nowhere near the craptastic Six now), and I want to put it on an SS I'm thinking about building provided I can fix it. If I were to open it up and take it apart, what would tell me that the internals were totally shot and it was beyond hope? I'm hoping I can just get some more oil for it and new seals and it'll be fixed, but I'm not much of a suspension guy, so I'm afraid I'd do more damage to it. What in total would I need if it was completely blown up?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
But...what would I want to look for (Signs of damage, etc) when I did tear it down. Sorry for my crazy questions, I can't think straight :(

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
look for parts that have markings from rubbing, rubber that is brittle and cracked, plastic parts that are cracked, places where oil has leaked out where it shouldn't have. It might be a good idea to get an exploded view or something of what's in your fork, it seems like those older manitous had a crush washer that has to be replaced any time you dissassemble the fork.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Great. I tried tearing it down and I'm not getting very far...I can't find any sort of manual on the stupid thing, and Answer has nothing on their site. I've taken off anything that looks like its supposed to come off, and nothing is coming apart. Supposedly this is just an SX-R without the lockout, but I can't find an SX-R manual either. Anyone have any info on these things?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hooray for me, I got it apart. Oil level is fine, everything looks okay. I greased the spring/MCU unit, reassembled it, and its acting the same. What could be the reason for it not particularly working all that well? It works, kind of...Really sticky, doesn't usually get all of its travel, and it tends to turn rigid on anything except big hits. I've checked the preload and rebound, and they're both set where they should be. It used to work...What could possibly be going on?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The Marathon kicks ass James :thumb:, I'm just wanting to use the old fork on a second bike (GF/friend rig of sorts).

Its the right oil level, I checked the manual, I'm also thinking its the right weight, its never been changed since I got it (Over a year ago), and it used to work. Is it possible, since I rode it through the winter, that it might have dumped the oil and replaced it with water? I don't think it is cause wouldn't I notice the difference in oil and water (Don't mix/dilute each other)? Its driving me crazy...might there be something wrong with the preload dillio?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Does the fork you are trying to fix have TPC ( or whatever they call it now) and microlube ports? If so, my guess would be that you just washed out all the lubed inside the sliders, and that is why the fork is sticking. If this is what is going on, the fix is simple. I would remove the lowers and clean them out well with something like dish washing soap and a brush. Them dry it/ put it back together/ microlube it. I had an X-Vert that would get the lube flushed out of it in no time if I rode it in the rain.

Glad to hear the Marzo is holding up!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by BikeGeek
pdf's.....
After seeing the pdf's, I would do what I mentioned before. I wouldn't mess with the oil (yet at least). The oil is sealed pretty well, and unless the fork has a ton of miles on it, you shouldn't need to do anything. The Manitous I have worked with/ owned were very poorly sealed (not the TPChamber, but the space betweent the lowers and uppers). A good cleaning is VERY easy and should make a world of difference. Just take the bolts out of the bottom of the legs, slide the lowers off, clean, lube, reassemble. It really is that easy.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Do you have one of those stupid MCU elastomers in there? My SX-R pooped out after one winter in Utah because it froze and I rode on it anyways I'm guessing the microscopic bubbles in the MCU popped or shattered or whatever and come spring time it wasn't working too well.

You may also check the compression circuit. Take the top cap off the right side (the side with the dial) and look to make sure there's no gunk blocking the hole that runs through the center of the shaft, also look for chunks of crud on the shims and plunger. I'd replace the oil too just for good measure, 5wt from any moto shop should do the trick.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah, its got the TPC stuff in it. It also has the little elastomer above the coil, that may be causing the problem. I'll clean it out and lube it like you said, James, we'll see if that fixes it. Is there anyway to get a new elastomer if its shot?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
Yeah, its got the TPC stuff in it. It also has the little elastomer above the coil, that may be causing the problem. I'll clean it out and lube it like you said, James, we'll see if that fixes it. Is there anyway to get a new elastomer if its shot?
If the elastomer is shot, I think that pretty much any other elastomer (including non-manitou) will work, especially when considering that the fork is more if a back-up. I have seen some Manitou elastomers so old and busted that they had liquified. But I would start with the cleaning/lubing and just leave the TPC alone. The person with the liquified elastomer was also using the fork as a backup. I can't remembver what I used, just that I shaved down the sides so that it would fit in the fork. If it were the persons primary fork, I would prpobably ordered a new bumper, but the ghetto fix worked fine.