Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Get a new Manitou Gold Label fork + new front wheel

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
My '03 Fox Vanilla RLC on my dj/street hardtail is dying, and the cost of a rebuild from Push is almost as much as my cost on a new Manitou Gold Label fork. My buddy just got a Gold Label fork, and it seems to be a pretty solid and reasonably-priced piece of metal. The problem with the rebuild from Push is that I have one of the '03 Vanillas with a creaking crown, and the Push rebuild won't fix that. (Getting the fork serviced by Fox will cost more than the fork did when it was new.) So... do I a) ride my Vanilla until it dies and worry about getting a new fork later; b) get the Push rebuild and keep riding the fork; or c) get the Manitou Gold Label fork and then rebuild my front wheel with a 20mm hub?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
dump the Vanilla and start fresh with something else.

It's your DJ bike and WILL be abused, right? ... do you really want that creaking crown to progress into a "quick release" crown?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nick said:
dump the Vanilla and start fresh with something else.
I don't know what you mean by "dying" but I agree. If it was a trail or xc bike I'd say ride it but for DJ you don't want any surprises, and personally I need fairly fresh stuff on the front end to feel confident. 20mm is the way to go but I'm not a huge manitou fan. Consider a coil sprung pike too.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There's no reason to waste money on better damping bits for a dj fork.

I had a niller go creaky on me and fox just replaced the crown/steerer/stanchions.......was inside of a year though. Call them and see what they can do for you. If it's going to cost a lot then just turn the bike upside down, drop some tri-flow in the crown/stanchion junction and ride it till it cries.

I've got a sherman firefly I dropped the travel on to replace the fox. I'm no fan of manitou's damping performance but you can't beat how solid those things are just from a chassis perspective. I think the goldies would be good (better) for what you're doing anyway.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I would really look into the steel steerer pike...I have been running one for a while now and love it...i am not a fan of that new gold label at all, it really is a tank and doesnt seem like it is built as well as the old shermans...that said if you can find a jumper laying around you would be set...eitherway go with the new fork, not the old one...

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I have the end all solution, just throw your jumping bike out the window and buy a new DH fork :) The Gold Label was sick out at the jumps, way stiffer than that black that I was riding, I'd just get one of those and build a new wheel.