Quantcast

Fork upgrade question

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Thinking of turning this "road" bike into a multi-use bike for CX and Road. Orven seems to like punishment lately so this beater road bike (last ridden down the dirt trails in Snow Summit) maybe seeing a new lease in life.

Question is, is there a fork that can be used for road and CX (with CX brake bosses)? Does each fork have different rake?

Here's the current "barely ridden" state of the bike in question.

Xterradork

Chimp
Sep 11, 2006
Well, a couple of questions. What size wheels are on that bike? 700c or 27in? That may limit your ability to get cross tires. Also the head tube size. Looks like one inch. I did a quick scan on the web, and every fork I could find for cross was 1 1/8". Not saying they don't have them, but I didn't see one. But if you can get tires for it, you may be able to ride it with standard road brakes.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Anything good for CX is fine for road. I believe the rake is generally different for each.

Is that frame worth a new fork? Looks pretty old...Does the frame have mounts for CX cantis?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Surly cross check.

You won't be able to run cantis on the back, but you could put them on the front.

I think you will find that fork rake is pretty standard around the mid 40's.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
In Southern Ca, it's not like you need big 'ol CX tires with a mud tread pattern, and it looks like there's good brake clearance, so why not just get some smallish tires like Michelin Jets or something else similarly small? A number of CX pros run 28s...you just can't rip on rough descents.

damnit jim

Monkey
Jun 22, 2002
Find hell, make a left
Thinking of turning this "road" bike into a multi-use bike for CX and Road. Orven seems to like punishment lately so this beater road bike (last ridden down the dirt trails in Snow Summit) maybe seeing a new lease in life.

Question is, is there a fork that can be used for road and CX (with CX brake bosses)? Does each fork have different rake?

Here's the current "barely ridden" state of the bike in question.
What is he thinking????

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I took a quick scan of QBP's offerings. They have a nice selection of 1 inch threadless forks, with rakes varying from 45-50mm.

I wouldn't worry too much about rake. This bike is not going to handle any better or worse with a different front geometry, and I doubt any rake would introduce toe overlap.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
I wouldn't worry too much about rake. This bike is not going to handle any better or worse with a different front geometry, and I doubt any rake would introduce toe overlap.
hot dang! that flow of info flew right pass over my head. :p

I'm waiting on a 10spd gruppo so Shyrmp can run the tubeless road wheelset on her bike and then the take offs on hers would go onto this clapped out bike. Thanks for the info.