Quantcast

Forks & Shocks for heavy riders.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I have searched but found vague info.

What forks are acceptable to heavy riders (225+) and what forks and shocks work for different types of riding.

I am told to get a Pike Air for me new trail bike as I the XHeavy spring in the coil would be inadequate.

Feedback? I am building a BLT2 with an RP23 (Tuning spec goes as high as 240) and a Pike 454 Air up front.

What other options do I have?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Depends on what kind of riding you are doing... more xc or more all mountain?

For a rear shock, I'd recommend an Avy. Never heard of one breaking. Not only will he get you set up on the right weight spring, he will valve the shock to your weight and riding style as well.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I am 280#. I have an RP23 on my Meta 666, and although i thought an air shock would never work, it seems to be just fine. I am running a Marzocci 55 up front, changed the oil out to 10 wt and added a few shims to the spring s so i could use more spring preload and less air. I am getting 25% sag and getting full travel on the big hits.

on my DH bike I runn a 888 with 10 wt, x form springs, and homemade pvc spacers for a bit more spring preload. got the sag about perfeect at 33% and still get full travel. I just had the dhx5 rebuilt by Push, and I am impressd.