Quantcast

Forks

eastcoastDH

Chimp
Apr 8, 2011
noVA
Gonna pick up a new fork for Christmas and im trying to decide between a 2012 Dorado or a 2012 Fox 40. Ive ridden with a Dorado before and loved it, but ive never tried the Fox 40. Fork is going on a 2011 Morewood Makulu.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Both amazing forks. 40 is probably a minutely better fork over all but probably won't make you any happier than a dorado would. But by next year everyone and their moma is going to have a 40.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Have not had any time on the 2012 40 but did with the 2011. The Dorado of same year had much better small bump and high speed chatter control. The Dorado seemed to need less TLC. The 40 is stiffer if you like to plow.

AS Peg says below. The DORADO is a very small market all made to order. So if you are getting from Manitou you may have to wait a few weeks before it gets sent out. The fork includes a 2 year service plan. I have only used it once in that time and that was cause mine is almost over for the 1 fork.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
If all things were equal, I would consider that the 40 probably has a better resale market. The people who ride the Dorados seem to love them but there does not seem to be that many of those people.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Have not had any time on the 2012 40 but did with the 2011. The Dorado of same year had much better small bump and high speed chatter control. The Dorado seemed to need less TLC. The 40 is stiffer if you like to plow.
I was going to PM you but this maybe something a few others would like to know too.

Could you elaborate more on the comparison between the two? Is the 40 being stiffer was a relevant difference? Because to me, less TLC is a very relevant strength. Were you able to notice the half pound weight advantage of the dorado? Were you cooler than everyone else on the mountain because you had an upside down fork??

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
WA, no I did not notice the LB difference. I am big and still somewhat strong. I am a plow rider the 40 is almost as stiff as a monster it will go wherever you point it and not deflect the Dorado will wiggle a bit and has some give. They for sure feel different in that department. The Dorado feels more like a Boxxer in that regard.

The low maintenance on the fork was a big bonus. It's first day it had almost 25K vertical feet put on it. When we sent it in a few weeks ago it was approaching the 300K mark. It felt fine I just wanted to use the free service. Some claim the stiffness between the 2 was an issue. The 4 other testers we have all loved the Dorado after spending a bunch of time on them and a few are getting one themselves so that is a good sign.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i used tried and tested the new 888s, the new 40s etch.

all good forks, i just found i really like the used dorado 2010 i got - it just rides perfect for me.

i removed all the stickers tho..so it would prolly be lots faster with the red stickers on but, it works :)