Quantcast

Former Tabcoo Lawyers now going after Coca-Cola

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
BKQuill said:
This is getting out of control, when are we going to start holding people responsible for their own action and quit blaming everyone else.
When Lawyers do not make any money from it...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
After the industry policy was announced, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill banning soft drinks altogether in public schools in his state.
You've gotta be kidding me.

Right, soft drinks made kids fat and not the piles and piles of junk food that they serve at school cafeterias.

The attorneys say, however, the courts sometimes can be the best way to address social change --- and the childhood obesity issue calls for such change.
Somehow I don't think suing a bunch of rich soda companies is going to solve anything related to health problems in the U.S.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Slugman said:
When Lawyers do not make any money from it...
Yep, these blood sucking lawyers get paid 33.3% of the settlement; which is why they love to go out after corporations...

The worst part is, these lawyers are the ones who solicit people to file these types of lawsuits. So these kids have a Coke with lunch at school--big deal. On their home, they will grab a Big Gulp size Coke, and then refill it with another Coke when they get home, grab some chips and cookies and sit in front of the TV playing video games for the next 4 hours. yeah, it's really the school's fault...not the parents who allow their kids have an unhealthy diet.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ito said:
You've gotta be kidding me.

Right, soft drinks made kids fat and not the piles and piles of junk food that they serve at school cafeterias.
It's a start. And sodas have an enourmous amount of sugar in them, which DOES contribute to obesity in kids. Start with the soda and move on to the junk food.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
ito said:
Oh yeah - it's not the kid's fault for eating ho-ho's twinkies, and funyuns for lunch.

The lawyers are like Jesse Jackson - if there's money in it for them, they "care."

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Our school has a 5 year, 3 MILLION dollar contract with Pepsi. We have atleast 10 machines around our school.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Ciaran said:
It's a start. And sodas have an enourmous amount of sugar in them, which DOES contribute to obesity in kids. Start with the soda and move on to the junk food.
XXX
(Family Feud buzzer sound).
Mainstream sodas DO NOT have sugar in them. They contain a man-made, engineered sugar substitute known as high fructose corn syrup. It's basically a cheap alternative to actually growing sugar and using sugar cane. HFCS is also linked to type-2 diabetes and obesity. It's no coincidence the obesity epidemic in this country didn't really take off until after HFCS starting being used as sugar more than 50% of the time.

Sugar is natural to the body (esp. the liver) and thus it can break it down through the digestive process. However, even though HFCS comes from corn, it's still not natural and thus the digestive tract and the liver have a more difficult time breaking it down and more **** gets stored in the body as FAT. :angry:

Jan 29, 2005
You may be saying "oh kids should know better, if they eat crap and get fat its their fault." This is wrong, if you buy your lunch (at least at our school) you get will get French fries and ketchup, usually joined with another thing that is not very healthy either (ex. popcorn shrimp). For drinks there is either bottled water, sodas, sugary "juice", or chocolate or regular milk. Very few people choose milk... ever.

I thoroughly despise big corporations paying the schools to advertise within its walls. Hate it hate it hate it. It feels like we are a target demographic, not members of an institution of learning.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
dropsdon'tlikem said:
I thoroughly despise big corporations paying the schools to advertise within its walls. Hate it hate it hate it. It feels like we are a target demographic, not members of an institution of learning.
Schools being so underfunded that they're forced to use wall space for corporate ads is pretty f'in pathetic.