Quantcast

Former World Champ Dave Cullinan off the bicycle

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Went motoin yesterday, took a few dozen pics, they all sucked. I did get one that was 'decent', Cully testing some new pipes for Two Brothers.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
One year at 7 Springs (National) Cully tried to gap a rock just before coming onto the ski slopes and came up short. He basically crashed at my feet. Not sure what exactly he broke (collarbone or something around the shoulder) but he was pretty messed up.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
CHOP said:
One year at 7 Springs (National) Cully tried to gap a rock just before coming onto the ski slopes and came up short. He basically crashed at my feet. Not sure what exactly he broke (collarbone or something around the shoulder) but he was pretty messed up.
and that was the end of Cully. . . . :mad:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
stiksandstones said:
Yeah, a little RC action...he is the national sales manager for two brothers, but rides MX about 2x a week testing many of their products.
Stik

RC was flying at Red Bud on that bike. Both motos he slowed up a ton after putting down a huge lead. The 1st moto he was nursing the bike since it was nearing explosion time. The 2nd moto he backed off since he had to poop. No crap. I guess he has a problem with that from time to time. I would have just crapped in my pants and been laughing while Jamie interviewed me.

The bike is fast though.

How are the KTM 250SXFs holding up out in CA?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
stiksandstones said:
No one is, or will ever be smoother on DH than Cully.

hey now!....those are big words....don't forget nico.....that guy made just about anything look like a paved road....cully is(well, was) one of my all time faves though....unreal....too bad I only got to watch him ride a only a hand full of races..... :(

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
CHOP said:
I was standing there for that too! I think he came back to announce the DS that night :devil:

7 springs what an aweful venue how did they get that?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Ian Collins said:
hey now!....those are big words....don't forget nico.....that guy made just about anything look like a paved road....cully is(well, was) one of my all time faves though....unreal....too bad I only got to watch him ride a only a hand full of races..... :(
Not forgetting, but he is still smoother than Nico-the whole package...sail through a rock section then jump 40' wooden bridge right after, getting perfect backside and back into a fluid pedal on the fireroad. Nico, the greatest DHer of all time, but Cully was the best DHer at one point AND could school people on the slalom/duel/4x track...and I have always been partial to the riders that could kick butt in more than one discipline.

As for RC and RedBud-wish I could have seen it...I will have to wait till the finals at GlenHelen to watch him ruin the field.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bizutch said:
their slalom course was the coolest though...if you can't handle abike...you can't ride that one.
Yep, that was my first National slalom race. Awesome course.

Anyone remeber Shawms jumping over the croud after the race?

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
renegade999 said:
yes I remember that Chris. His RaceFace cranks broke the F off on the backside.
He actually broke the bottom bracket spindle off. I have it all on home video and it was in the movie "Outer Extremities" (sp?)

He also didn't actually jump over the crowd. There was a big double that led to a sharp right hand berm that you had to jump out of and down a hill. He took off from the lip of the first double and jumped diagonally across and landed on the hill after the berm. He skipped the landing of the double and the right hand berm.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
...yeah...he used to get paid to do that stuff...he'd get his team mech to take up a cash donation to gap or do something whack....he actually managed to make money on top of whatever pissy little salary he got.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
stiksandstones said:
Nico, the greatest DHer of all time, but Cully was the best DHer at one point AND could school people on the slalom/duel/4x track...and I have always been partial to the riders that could kick butt in more than one discipline.
Nico could Slalom but he just didn't do it...........wasn't he French national champ several times in the dual.......?.....that's not small potatoes....

I have never seen much footage of Cully......everytime i saw him he on the sidelines injured or something......he had a ruff road it seemed.....

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
There was one Cully mechanical that sticks out in my mind. It was like '93 or '94 maybe? I don't remember the venue either, but I remember watching the race on tv. The quill bolt in his stem broke on the run. Unable to steer he was able to bail pretty smooth and the bike ghost-rode down the slope.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
ChrisKring said:
Yep, that was my first National slalom race. Awesome course.

Anyone remeber Shawms jumping over the croud after the race?

Yeah on that big table that turned and went down by the lift house, the upper part of that course was horrible hahahha :thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Cant Climb said:
Nico could Slalom but he just didn't do it...........wasn't he French national champ several times in the dual.......?.....that's not small potatoes....

I have never seen much footage of Cully......everytime i saw him he on the sidelines injured or something......he had a ruff road it seemed.....

didnt cully have MAJOR heart surgery, could be wrong...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
SlackBoy said:
I remember a pic of him pulling a big big one footer on old school spud's.(one of the lil bitty ones)
supposedly he even clipped back in before landing
Are you talking about this pic? Old-school stylin' at it's best! :cool:

Last edited:

conleycm1

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
about shaums jumping at seven springs
bizutch said:
...yeah...he used to get paid to do that stuff...he'd get his team mech to take up a cash donation to gap or do something whack....he actually managed to make money on top of whatever pissy little salary he got.
at seven springs I remember the announcer saying that Thor Wixom ponied up the cash for him to do that gap...I think that is in the "headliners" movie too.
Shaums was super cool to me that day. Earlier I stopped by his race truck and talked with him (basically me just saying how I thought he was pretty cool in "plush") as he adjusted his bike. He was really kind and when he was done adjusting he just lifted the bike (with zzyzx front end) over the team railing and said to me, "OK, why don't you take it for a spin and see if I did a good job tuning it." I just rode around in the parking lot for a minute or two while thinking how cool it was to be on a pro's bike :thumb: Shaums was cool... still is I bet! :p
sorry stik for derailling your thread. That photo of Cully is great

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
ROCKLAND said:
There was one Cully mechanical that sticks out in my mind. It was like '93 or '94 maybe? I don't remember the venue either, but I remember watching the race on tv. The quill bolt in his stem broke on the run. Unable to steer he was able to bail pretty smooth and the bike ghost-rode down the slope.
it was at vail. i watch him crash. it was smooth, i too think he has the most flow of any rider ever!

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Here is a rerail...speaking of Seven Springs and Cully....here he is pulling of a nice landing in DS, in 98 i think, Same year as the Shaums jump.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Great rider (loved the bare handed riding and hey, he handed the MTBers their asses in Bromont when he won the Worlds!)...too bad he was kind of a prick when racing. I remember his huge hissy fit at the start of the '95 WC race in Big Bear when he missed his start time and couldn't race on the course he built....heh heh...good times.

byklvr

Chimp
May 24, 2005
How's the family??

(oh yeah, umm, got a new site name)

what's up with "the chronicles", I dont get that mag anymore, still doing them?

p.s. "haa,haa,haa, just realized I'm back to grasshopper status!
Nice one, now who's gonna fess up and put my signature back!
it wasn't that offensive."