Quantcast

Formula The ONE - Problem - not braking

soundstorm

Chimp
Jun 13, 2008
Hi guys

I just bought a completely new set of super mega blink blink Formula The ONE brakes. Previously I got Magura Louise BAT 2007 and I didnt like the feel of the lever.
I read so many reviews about Formula The ONE, that they are the best brakes, so much power and modulation. So I bought them.
I installed them and wanted to test them. But then it cames - the Veeeery Bad surprise: The brakes doesn´t perform that well. Or better said - they´re almost not working.
I tried to brake but there was almost no sign of braking power.It looks like the brakes don´t even work. Neither the front nor the rear brake. I tried to set up the lever reachpoint and the FCS but no change.The only change was that the lever get closer to the handlebars. Resulting from many reviews,I was expecting extremly powerfull performance but it is a really extremly bad surprise.
You can feel that the brakes start to brake when the lever is so much pushed that it almost touches the handlebar, also when the reachpoint is furthest from bars). I tried to change the FCS,the brakelever reachpoint,but no change. The FCS doesn´t even work,or seems not to work as no change in brakes behaviour can be noticed.
So when you push the lever u can feel the point when the brake "bites", but after this point u can and must still push the lever much more further as the brake is almost not braking and you have to push the lever so much that it touches the handlebars. So means at this point the brake should definitely stop the wheel. But it doesnt stop.
Just imagine with the lever pushed on maximum (touching the handlebar) u have still posibillity when you push the bike harder to move the bike, the wheel, so u can see the brake haven´t braked the wheel.

So my question is.
Do you think this set of brakes is damaged and should I return it immediately to get a new one? Or You got some other suggestions?

Thank you for your help. I am really desperate as these brakes aren´t cheap and I know, or at least read that these brakes are maybe now the best brakes out there.

reptilezs

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Arlington, MA
so i assume you haven't bedded your pads in yet. you need to break in your pads and rotors before they start biting real good. find a hill and grab the brake a few times repeat as necessary. . a few good trail rides should bed the pads properly. if your levers feel spongy then they need a bleed but from what you are saying they sound ok.

soundstorm

Chimp
Jun 13, 2008
yeah i know each new brake needs an brakein time, but definitely this cant be that I have to push the lever so much that it is touchig the handlebars and brake is still not braking on 100%.... and yop the lever definitely feels spongy...resulting from that it could be that there is air in the brake and most probably they really need bleed....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Bleed them. Mine came with a less than stellar bleed out of the box. Not nearly as bad as yours, but not perfect either. Bleed them, bed in the pads, and then you'll be good. They're excellent brakes once you get them set up.