Quantcast

found a bone saturday (sorry 56k)

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
we were preparing for our new shed saturday when we made a weird discovery. we were shoveling and raking the leaves and wood chips from the trees that were cut down. under a few inches of leaves and dirt we found part of a hip bone. we called the non-emergency police number and they came and picked it up and said they would give it to the forensic people monday morning. before he took it he asked if we wanted to keep it incase we find more remains and then they will just pick them all up at once. we found that quite funny. we did not find any other bones yet, but we still have approx. 6 inches to dig for the footings for the shed.

here are some pics
(the piece in the socket is a piece that broke off and we just put it there)

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
It's a piece of the pelvis, but not human. I can't find my copy of Mammalian Osteology so I'm not totally sure what animal it is from. If I had to guess, I'd say deer (maybe a juvenile).

It's been too long since I was in grad school to give you a definite answer.

Edit: My wife (who studied human skeletal stuff in grad school) agreed that it wasn't human.

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
Well considering its about 9-10 inches tall.....it would have to be a large animal.

I guess a little background on our property and things we have found would help. It used to be a farm and the area we are putting our shed was their dumping area most likely. We find tons of glass jars, cups, wiskey bottles, some intack and some broken. We find things like old steel clothes irons, as well as parts and pieces of leather shoes. its kinda weird.

But yeh we are kinda hoping its not human cus if it is the police man said "We most likely will have to come back and dig up the majority of your back yard for more remains unless it was recorded death and not an unsolved murder." Those were his exact words. Followed by a disturbing chuckle.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
My grad school advisor, Lee Lyman, just walked into my office and I showed him the pictures. He's one of the best - if not the best - zooarchaologists in the world. It is either a deer or cow, he'd need something for scale to say for sure (but probably deer).

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
My grad school advisor, Lee Lyman, just walked into my office and I showed him the pictures. He's one of the best - if not the best - zooarchaologists in the world. It is either a deer or cow, he'd need something for scale to say for sure (but probably deer).
Well go ahead and ruin all the e-speculation for everyone else :clapping:

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
Well go ahead and ruin all the e-speculation for everyone else :clapping:

for real. I thinking either a sham in which someone was going to get framed for murder, or it is a prehistoric dino bone worth millions and he is going to get screwed out of any share of the money.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
:shakefist:

Damn, here I was feeling good that I remembered something from grad school (and had it verified) and then y'all come along and call me killjoy.