Quantcast

four 9 five... on 8-4-04

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA
Who's in for some DJ's tomorrow after work. I'll be there around 5:15pm.
Has anyone been there recently? What are the conditions? Not trying to swim in mud all evening...

b

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA
rideLIKEjehu said:
i hear it was virtually underwater on sunday. dunno.
damn... i was hoping that wouldn't be the response i got. i may run down there a check at lunch tomorrow. if it's messy, guess i'll be riding street instead!

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA
Animal Mother said:
damn... i was hoping that wouldn't be the response i got. i may run down there a check at lunch tomorrow. if it's messy, guess i'll be riding street instead!
well, i stopped on 495 and ran down to the fence and took a peek. i didn't see any standing water at all. the path by the fence was bone dry and the ten or so jumps i could see from there were the same. this was at about 11:45 so it will probably dry out even more by tonight.

unfortunitly, my dumb ass ran out of the house and forgot my bike and gear this morning so I'm not about to drive all the way home and all the way back in two hours of traffic. it's defiantly very ridable if not perfect but i'm not going to make it out tonight...

hope this helps somebody!

b

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
So the thing about the jumps at 495 is, that the people that made them didn't have enough people to help them dig, so they took the stupid way out. They took the dirt from between the jumps so they wouldn't have to move as much dirt. The problem is that one or two heavy rains and the jumps are unrideable until somebody takes a bucket and scoops the water out. And then you have to wait a week. We have had a lot of heavy rain lately. So the jumps are pretty much unrideable. Basically add one week to the previous rain and that is when the first few in each line will be rideable. And unless somebody takes a bucket and scoops the water out of the other jumps, they are done for the year.
sincerely,
Grumpy as hell

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
well instead of bitc*ing about how the jumps were made why dont you go and dig some drain lines out of the valleys between the jumps, that way they will dry and you wont be all upset at the fact that someone put in a sh*tload of work on those jumps and didnt do it your way. Hmm? If you dig a little, problem solved? Amazing how that works.

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA
drt_jumper said:
well instead of bitc*ing about how the jumps were made why dont you go and dig some drain lines out of the valleys between the jumps, that way they will dry and you wont be all upset at the fact that someone put in a sh*tload of work on those jumps and didnt do it your way. Hmm? If you dig a little, problem solved? Amazing how that works.

damn... no he didn't!! :eek:

yeah, got to agree with you.

Bitch = easy
Shovel = hard

Guess most people would rather take the easy way out....

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
well thats good that he has done alot of work out there, so have I while I was living there. The reason for my rant is that people want to complain about the trails when all it would take is an a couple hours to dig a couple of drains...its not that hard..therefore I am glad people are helping maintain that place but bi*ching about how they were built is retarded. It would have been diff. if he had said that the water in between the jumps is annoying "which it is" and that he was going to go and dig some drains and would appreciate some help. That would have come off alot better than just bashing the people who built the jumps stupid! End Rant!

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
I have been asking for help all year. And a few have helped. I have built several drainage ditches and worked to fill in the deep hole between the jumps. But, I guess I need to bring them up to ground level and bring the take offs and landings up a foot, becase they are all fool of water now. And, yes, I do think that I have earned the right to b tch and mone a bit when I get grumpy. But I am not grumpy because I just got a brand new bmx bike today and I am as giddy as a school girl.
Let me know when you want to go ride.
xoxo
-brian

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
well i have actually driven down twice this year from wv (4 hours away) just to dig, so i know what it is like to not have anyone help you. I was out there digging 5 years ago when there was only half the stuff there is now. So I know all about it. I didnt know that you (bp) were out there digging, I thought you just wanted to do what a few of the people who ride there do...Just jump and bit*h and not help dig. So my bad for jumping your sh*t, Its just that I have also put in a bunch of work and hate it when people complain about stuff and dont do anything to fix it. Later adam

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
I appreciate you putting in the time. It was pretty sweet to move somewhere and find out there was such of good system of jumps less than a mile away. Let me know if you are in town.
-brian

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA
_bp said:
I appreciate you putting in the time. It was pretty sweet to move somewhere and find out there was such of good system of jumps less than a mile away. Let me know if you are in town.
-brian

yeah- sorry Brian! didn't realize you were doing the digging out there either... Thanks for your help this weekend at the Shed! I'll return the
favor at 495 anytime you want to do some work. I'm free most weeknights...

ben

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Animal Mother said:
yeah- sorry Brian! didn't realize you were doing the digging out there either... Thanks for your help this weekend at the Shed! I'll return the
favor at 495 anytime you want to do some work. I'm free most weeknights...

ben
i stopped by the jumps yesterday for a bit and they were bone dry. there were some other guys hitting the bigger stuff... i was working my way up to the bigger jumps until i tacoed my front wheel.

anyone up for DJing this week? the weather report looks promising. tuesday or wednesday after work? if we could get a crew 1/2 the size of what was at the shed on sunday (with enough shovels)... just think of the work that can get done!