Votes: 26 49.1%
  • No, I am master of my domain.

Votes: 27 50.9%

• Total voters

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Who here wears glasses? Do you need them to ride? Note the yes or no nature of the poll. You can all vote!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think good eyesight it not only key to riding but something beyond that. Not just seeing what is in front of you but truly understanding what is out there.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think good eyesight it not only key to riding but something beyond that. Not just seeing what is in front of you but truly understanding what is out there.
I've been blind in one eye since I was three and a half, and I need a -10 scrip for the one that works. I'll never be a pro but I'll also never blame my vision for it.

Depth perception is for pansies. :biggrin:

Yes I wear glasses.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I am pretty much blind without corrective lenses. I usually wear contacts but switch to glasses every so often to give my peepers a break.

Sadly, I am not a candidate for Lasik or anything like that :(

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I am blind as a bat. Can't do anything wthout my glasses. I am too lazy for contacts and almost did permanent damage to my eyes during the 2 years that I wore them.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have very bad depth perception in the low light of dawn & dusk. I need at least 80 watts to feel comfortable trail riding at night.
Funny, I have problems at low light too, but I found it pretty easy to adapt to riding in the dark. From the time my buddies and I first started riding in the woods in the dark many years ago and continuing today, someone will occasionally complain about reduced depth perception. I just tell them "Hey, welcome to my world, now suck it up."

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
My mom couldn't see a thing, they didn't realize until she was 8. This year she found out she had developed cataracts so she was eligible for a surgery that gives her brand new lenses. Now she has 20/10 vision.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
I own glasses and wear them at home, though I tend to avoid them most often in public because I do look like a four-eyed freak... thanks for the reminder. :disgust:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I thought about starting this thread awhile ago.

I started to hold my iPod further away to read it last year, and decided to take advantage of my vision insurance at my last job and got some reading glasses (150) and now a few months later, I'm scared of not having a pair at work despite having a 30" monitor, so I'm up to 3 pair now.

Losing vision is synonymous with hell for me...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The reason I ask is that on the last few times I've gone riding (before the snow...), it's been getting really dark, really early. By the end of the day, I can harly see what the hell is going on and I find myself wishing I had better vision. The guys I ride with don't seem to mind at all. None of them wear glasses.

I often wear glasses in front of a computer, or I squint, like I am right now. Just over a year ago I got my eyes checked and was surprised with how much more sharply I could see with corrective lenses. I got glasses after that. It seems my eyes have just gotten worse ever since, or I've just become more used to "good" vision with glasses, so when I take 'em off, I'm in a world of blur.

The glasses I bought were a pretty dumb choice for anything but sitting in front of a computer. I guess I'll have to invest in something more practical for sports. Crap.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
The reason I ask is that on the last few times I've gone riding (before the snow...), it's been getting really dark, really early. By the end of the day, I can harly see what the hell is going on and I find myself wishing I had better vision. The guys I ride with don't seem to mind at all. None of them wear glasses.

I often wear glasses in front of a computer, or I squint, like I am right now. Just over a year ago I got my eyes checked and was surprised with how much more sharply I could see with corrective lenses. I got glasses after that. It seems my eyes have just gotten worse ever since, or I've just become more used to "good" vision with glasses, so when I take 'em off, I'm in a world of blur.

The glasses I bought were a pretty dumb choice for anything but sitting in front of a computer. I guess I'll have to invest in something more practical for sports. Crap.
you are worthless and weak.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
glasses for everyday, lenses for DH riding (or riding with goggles in general).

prescription goggles are here:

http://www.pro-vue.com/

but these goggles are insanely expensive (250,- EUR over here), and if i take the goggles off, i'm blind again, so i would nevertheless have to carry glasses with me (or run around with the goggles on all day). i'll stick with monthly disposable lenses. a pack of six lenses lasts for almost half a year (if only worn on weekends), so it's actually a no-brainer....

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I have excellent night vision and I don't wear prescription glasses.

However, I find myself squinting to read subtitles, license plates and street signs from a distance.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Contacts for most hours of the day - but never for riding or outdoor sports. I usuallly only wear my glasses in the evenings.

toby

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
just like OG I'm also pretty much blind out of my right eye and no corrective lens can bring back my vision out of that eye.
I also can't see very well when all of a sudden I enter a very dark section of trail - wearing tinted lenses makes it worst, reason why I always wear clear lenses on my sunglasses/goggles.
I do have prescription glasses and had them since high school, but never wore them.

Now you know one of the reason why I crash so much ;)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
just like OG I'm also pretty much blind out of my right eye and no corrective lens can bring back my vision out of that eye.
I also can't see very well when all of a sudden I enter a very dark section of trail - wearing tinted lenses makes it worst, reason why I always wear clear lenses on my sunglasses/goggles.
I do have prescription glasses and had them since high school, but never wore them.

Now you know one of the reason why I crash so much ;)

And you've STILL never gotten that eye checked to get some of the scar tissue zapped out.......

My favourite crash is still the one where I was following you along the ridge towards the entrance to Old School. You clipped the tree, and ended up on the road below...