Quantcast

Fox 40 Brake Rotor question......

• Last couple of days to enter the Ridemonkey Secret Santa!

Come exchange gifts with other monkeys! From beer, to light-up bike nuts, to custom machined holiday decorations, there's something for everyone. To participate, make sure you send your email by Moday, December 2nd.
    Click here for details and to learn how to participate.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
so because everyone is all bummed out that there is no option to run a 185mm rotor on the fox fork i started looking for options....

i noticed that avid lists a 140mm rear rotor option for the ultimate....

this is a total shot in the dark, but i was wondering if the 140mm adapter was bolted to the fox fork you could use a washer or two to space things out a hair and run the 185mm rotor.....

anyone tried this???

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
its not that much lighter.
I'm bummed about only being able to run an 8" rotor on a 40 myself. The desire of running a 7" rotor is not only for weight savings. I did it so I'd have less brake power. I felt it gave me better modulation and made me slightly faster. I still had all the power I needed, but I didn't have to use it. I have a 160/140 set up on my prophet which I now use as my XC and DH bike because I sold my sunday. Haven't had any problems with stoping power and I'm riding all the same trails at about the same speed as I was with my Sunday.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I'm bummed about only being able to run an 8" rotor on a 40 myself. The desire of running a 7" rotor is not only for weight savings. I did it so I'd have less brake power. I felt it gave me better modulation and made me slightly faster. I still had all the power I needed, but I didn't have to use it. I have a 160/140 set up on my prophet which I now use as my XC and DH bike because I sold my sunday. Haven't had any problems with stoping power and I'm riding all the same trails at about the same speed as I was with my Sunday.
cool. makes sense. i did the same thing on my niner, 160/140. brakes are the same as my dh bike. they feel pretty damn good.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
A rear 140mm = 160mm front adapter
but on the fox a 160mm adapter is for used the 203.......so i was thinking, if you went down to a 140mm adapter, you could use 5mm worth of washers to push the caliper out enough to run a 185mm rotor.......

oh, wait are you saying that the 140mm rear rotor utilizes a 160mm front adapter rather than some special 140mm adapter????

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
you'd need a 140 front adapter to run a 7" rotor on a 40. It all be comes moot with the post mount for '07-08 forks.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
SJ- thats when you bring out the hack saw. hahaha

i wish i could run a 7in rotor on my 40 too, bcd was talking about making a adapter but he said it was too much trouble. i wonder what idea he had in his head tho. i put on a 7in rotor so that i could see what a 7in adapter for the 40 would look like but ended up with loads of clearance issues.