Quantcast

Fox 40 Cartridge, who's pulled it RIGHT down (and messed with it)

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Ok, I have searched with no real results.
I remember seeing a thread here a while ago similar to what i am asking.

I want to get into the cartridge, maybe boost up the HSC a little. The fox manual only takes you as far as dropping the oil and checking / adjusting the glide ring.

So has anyone pulled apart the real internals?

Any help much appreciated:imstupid:

jhhubb

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
the all mighty 303
I've taken the internals apart on my rc2. Depending on what version RC or RC2 you have we will have different internals. You can change bottom resistance by rearranging the washers on the bottom of the cartridge. Take the cartridge apart at the bottom, empty the oil. Refill the oil and make sure there is no air.

The best way to check it is to slow the rebound down and make sure the cartridge is functioning properly.

Put it back together and ride.

Takes a few hours to do if you work through it slowly.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
I have an RC2 sorry I didn't mention that.
Can you please be more specific about how far apart you have taken your cartridge? I have the bladder out of mine, is that as far as you have got?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Everything you need to know for disassembly of the fit cart is on the fox web site. Not sure what you mean by the 'real internals'.

If you are trying to increase HSC, you need to mod the shim stack..that controls HSC. There are an unlimited number of shim combo possibilities and there is no way possible that Fox or anyone else could give you a recomendation without knowing about your riding style/rider weight/spring weight..etc etc. You can learn a bit about shim tuning via google, but finding individual shims in the propper diameters and thickness can be a challenge. The ones I have seen for sale are shop moto kits that include +- 100 shims. You might try a moto shop for individuals if/when you have an idea of what you want to do.

On a simpler note, you could just use a slightly more viscous damper fluid (fox uses torco RSF medium wt stock) to increase damping. It will have a larger effect on LS damping, but you could back those out to compensate.

Check
http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/highspeed.htm for HSC info
http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/lowspeed.htm for oil info
http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikesuspension.htm for bike specific info

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
What exactly do you mean by "right down through"?

Do you mean to removing the damper from the stanction?

Whatchu talkin about willis?

I still can't find on fox's www where they pull the cartridge right down though???

jhhubb

Chimp
Apr 19, 2006
the all mighty 303
He means pulling the dampning cartridge I believe. And you don't pull it down you unthread the rebound cap and pull it out that way.

All I have done is change the oil in my dampner. I took it apart at the bladder and other places to inspect for any damage. Once I found no damage I put it back together and added oil to the closest joint to rebound knob. It was a real pain in the ass getting all the air out of the cartridge but it works like a $1600 fork should now. (Except no happy ending)

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
Any advice for put the new oil ? I just opened mine and i think there is air inside...any advice for take it out?

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
What exactly do you mean by "right down through"?

Do you mean to removing the damper from the stanction?

Whatchu talkin about willis?
I think he is talking about taking the cartridge apart, disassembling some (or all) of the internals and re-bleeding the cartridge with different shims.

Aside form changing the bottom out setting it seems like you would have to be pretty "in tune" with your bike to not get enough adjustment range out of the hi/low compression adjustments. Not sure though.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
stop!!!!!!!!!

dude, easy fix for you.

order the 2007/2008 fit cart. from fox and replace it with your old one. the new cart. has been reworked in production to use more fit and less spring for fork function. it is more like a true moto fork with the new cart. in there. once you swap it out you can use the old cart. for a spare.

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
I'm sorry my link above will not help you with your HSC problems.
They don't take apart the compression damper in the service instructions.
They only show how to remove and install the bladder. :hmm:

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
I have fully dis-assembled mine and tuned. Get a strap wrench or an inner tube and Pop-eye arms and unthread the large silver can that the bladder sits in. There are wrench flats so you can hold the damper tube while unthreading. The damper guts will then just pull out, though you have to wiggle a bit to get past an o-ring.

What instances do you feel the need for more high speed?

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
I have fully dis-assembled mine and tuned. Get a strap wrench or an inner tube and Pop-eye arms and unthread the large silver can that the bladder sits in. There are wrench flats so you can hold the damper tube while unthreading. The damper guts will then just pull out, though you have to wiggle a bit to get past an o-ring.

What instances do you feel the need for more high speed?
Ok,
thanks again mate.
To everyone else: thanks for trying, but if half of you had read my first posts you would have saved yourself the typing.:lighten:

olie

Chimp
Nov 7, 2004
Newcastle, Uk
just got a set of 08 40's, goin to fit them to the bike at weekend, anyone know a good base to start the compression settings on? i weigh around 170lbs fully kitted, will the stock spring be ok? i like to run the forks quite slow and nice and soft. not really a plower as i like to find lines when i can, hope that helps

cheers

Olie