Quantcast

fox 40 coil

Milleratio

Monkey
Oct 24, 2021
What was or is the reason that the current Fox Float 40 doesn't have too many coil conversion kits available? Vorsprung does for smaller forks but not for 40. I know Avalanche but for me it's maybe too far away.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Probably due to the longer coil length required and (incorrect) view that DH isn't popular anymore.

Race Only Springs used to make a coil kit for the Boxxer, but they seem to have gone bye bye. I wish MRP would make their new Lift damper in Boxxer length.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What @Redwood Mulch Chucker said is pretty damn spot on....
Dual crown and DH is like heavyweights..people want to watch some do but the majority end up not wanting the carnage and chaos that goes a long with it..not too mention you need shuttels, lifts or round robin access to make these bikes usable pedaling sucks and limited timeline in most parts of the country for the sport ..

Enduro is the largest segment of the market and then all MTN...xc is still viable as well...but the I'd section covers the best bet for marketing and support..

Coil works amazing I've converted 2 over and the most recent is avalanche hybrid , which I like best... The fork is more balanced on compression now that both legs are used to hold it up...tracks better....

I will always have a DH bike I like to open it up and hit shit that my other bikes struggle and fall short on...but it's rare big bike comes out

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dual crown is structurally better for a 7" travel fork and we should have a lot more of them on enduro bikes. They would weight less for the same or better stiffness. This pretty much went out of favor as the old 7" Monster T went away and the DH bikes went up to 8" of travel F and R. There were a lot of DC forks on freeride/AM type bikes for a while, in the 5-7" travel class. 1.5 steerers helped a lot for SC forks...but 29er bikes with long travel or real lightweight forks kinda took it back in the other direction again.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Can anyone confirm if the latest air spring is backwards compatible to a 2020 Fox 40 stanchion?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
As far as I know it is...stanchions s stayed the same.....they changed a clip out at bottom that holds air assbly from a spring style to a flat c-clip style.

When I did this 40 I just built I was on with fox and they said do the new air spring .. I asked if the old one would work and they said yes...it was just updated and would cross over...

So I will go on saying yes...21- air spring is cheaper 21+ is more expensive and I could have gone either way with mine.....I opted for new since everything was new and I wanted fork to be all it could be .

I assume it's negative chamber on it is bigger for a more linear feel

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Can confirm that a 2016-2018 RC2 damper fits as replacement for Grip2 (VVC and non-VVC) dampers in a 29er chassis, at least for MY2020. And is a substantial improvement, as expected. Same length.