Quantcast

Fox 40 dimensions

Dhmann

Chimp
Sep 24, 2004
Hi,

My friend is doing a project on suspension bike design and needs to find the dimensions of the Fox 40's spring (internal/external diameter, length and approxiamte coild spacing).

Does anyone know the exact materials used for the different parts of the fork?
Since i don't have a Fox 40 i cant measure this up but can anyone help?

Cheers

John

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Well i bet if a Fox 40 owner on here cant help you out.... that if you went onto your friendly LBS with a dozen cold ones...they would pull a spring from a 40 thats in stock, and let you measure it.:thumb:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Green steel Fox 40 spring: 478mm long, 33mm OD, 22mm ID, coil spacing 11.0-11.2mm.
Not to nitpick, because this is a supremely helpful post and I commend you for it, but generally you measure the spring OD and the wire diameter. You can infer that from the ID dimension you gave, but it's a little odd.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Green steel Fox 40 spring: 478mm long, 33mm OD, 22mm ID, coil spacing 11.0-11.2mm.
Not to nitpick, because this is a supremely helpful post and I commend you for it, but your vaguest measurement is the coil spacing, when that should be the most accurate one you can give. Count the number of full coils (ignoring the flattened end ones, and measure the distance between the extremities, then divide by the number of coils.

Also, to the OP, I wouldn't infer too much from the wire diameter (whether calc'd from (OD-ID/2) or verniered directly, as that includes an unknown thickness of paint.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Not to nitpick, but I'm now getting a bit pissed off. :D

seb, baby, I'd rather send you the spring itself and let you count the coils and handle the division.
I measured the distance between coils at ten different locations and they were in the interval 11.0-11.2mm. Let's call all things even and say 11.1mm, because hey, paint thickness can offset the measurement. ;)

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
haha Not to nitpick but I wouldn't be stressed by 0.1mm with a spring that size. Engineering is generally at best +-10%. What about material consistency, should we xray it? :)

Last edited: