Quantcast

fox 40 issue

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
ok, i got an '09 40 and it just doesnt feel right! the only knob that feels like it does anything is the rebound! it has a warentee and i really want to get this sorted out before its up! thanks!

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
ohh and the day i got it it was really soft, it feels as if it has gotten stiffer in the two days i have had it!

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
ohh and the day i got it it was really soft, it feels as if it has gotten stiffer in the two days i have had it!
Do this first before panicking:

Service center - QuickTech: Forks-Dust Wiper Seal Quick Clean and Lube

Should improve a bit.

Then if you still think it feels wrong, I would recommend you either start by changing the oil in your lowers or send it out to Fox if you think thats too much for you.(really easy and Im sure anyone can do this with a few basic tools )

Then if its still feels like poop, time to rebuild the damper.Once again it aint rocket science but this time you will need a few more tools.Clamping the cartridge without the proper clamp can be a bit tricky.

How long have you had it?How many hours on it?What kind of weather condition has it been ridden most of the time,wet or dry?

The 40 is a great fork, it just need some maintenance like any performance product out there( Im sure you'd get the oil change in your Ferrari every time you'd need to)

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Thats what happen to other soft things, they tend to get stiffer if they get too much action. :biggrin:

Sorry I had to,it was just too easy.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
How much do you weigh? What doesn't feel right? The 2009 comes with a blue spring which may be too soft for you. The 2009 HSC and LSC knobs do alot more that the prior 40's. Maybe you just need the green spring?

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I should be getting my 09 40 next week, i weigh mid-190's, over 200 with gear. What spring will I be needing?

Blue Ti comes in the fork, which is the medium?
Green Ti is which spring?

nenjarickard

Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden.
I should be getting my 09 40 next week, i weigh mid-190's, over 200 with gear. What spring will I be needing?

Green Ti is the expensive spring. :P

I suggest a quick service of the lowers, my 09 40s where almost dry and they are supposed to have 50ml in each leg...

guitarhero

Chimp
Nov 1, 2005
Scotland
I'm about your weight and was using a green ti spring in my '08 40, but have changed to using the blue spring in the 09 and tuning using the compression adjusters more. Worth a try before shelling out on a green.
You're probably not in the U.K but if you are, i've got a spare green ti spring i could let go for a reasonable price if needed.