Quantcast

Fox 40 losing oil

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
To start off, i used the search tool and couldn't find anything.
anyways
my problem: i recently got my 06 fox rebuilt with 07 internals and now my left leg (preload side) is giving off a lot of oil when i ride it. bike shop that rebuilt it says that the oil isn't leaking, its just from the foam donut in there, but its still unnerving. the fork doesn't perform poorly. its been happening for about 2 months now and i ride pretty frequently. anyone know what this could be or if its really a problem? any help is greatly appreciated!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
is it just oil rings left on the stanchion or proper oil-gushing-out-and-dripping-down-the-leg-boxxer-style?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yea, the dust seal. its just the lubricating oil from your fork leaking out. which normal 40s do, but since you described yours as excessive, then your dust seal is worn out. wouldn't fox have replaced it when you sent it in anyways?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Well the 40 does not use a true oil seal, it just has dust wipers. This 'works' as the 40 is not an open bath fork and thus does not have the sort of internal oil pressures that something like a Marz would.

A couple of things could cause the excessive oil leakage (are you sure it is not grease from the rebuild). If the 'seals' were not replaced, that would be a good place to look. The other cause would be excess (bushing lube) oil in the fork (either from putting too much into the lowers durring the rebuild, or the damper leaking oil into the lowers, but that would cause intermittant damping issues). When the fork compresses, excess oil could be forced up past the seals.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Yeah my fork did the same thing after getting the rebound cartrigde replaced by Fox. It was the preload side though not the damper side. In fact I've only had issues with preload side leaking, weird. Anyway just change the dust wiper and that will solve the problem, at least until it blows again. Also make sure to add the proper amount of oil and if the oil you drain is really dirty I would recommend doing a oil rinse to get all the contaminates out.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
Who did the rebuild work? The fox forks as Davep says run very low oil. Maybe someone didnt read the manual and assumed you needed to add oil like an old marz fork.....

here is the manual:
http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/06_40_en.pdf

40cc oil per leg per leg (1cc = 1 ml)
40 milliliter(cc) = 1.352 ounce [US, liquid] or..
40 milliliter = 2.705 Tablespoon [US]
(www.onlineconversion.com)
thats exactly what i thought. i think its over filled, but shouldn't it stop coming out sometime??? by the way downhill zone in seattle did the rebuild

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The only place that I have ever lost oil on my 40 is slowly out of the bottom of the compression side. It has been going on for a while,
but the damping has not changed. I think I just need to replace the crush washers. Has anybody else had this happen?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
if you loose oil in the cart, you will end up with no damping depending on how much oil you loose.
typically happens at the very top of the stroke, as that is where an air bubble would migrate to. You would most likely notice top out symptoms first. If Fox's rebuild instructions they give some details about how to tell if there is air in the cartrage..they say 3mm of 'no damping' is acceptable.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I had this issue last year. I would change the seal and they would last a weekend. I think it may have been due to the bushings being worn and causing the seals to wear prematurely. I've since done a complete rebuild (via fox).
The fork is much tighter now.

ETBW

Chimp
May 29, 2007
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Hey man,

When I had a 40, the same thing happened to me. I blew out the whole preload side. You need to send it back to fox. Now ofcourse is most likely their bussiest time of the year but they should fix it. Tell them yuou already sent to them and just explain to them your whole story.

Another thing you could do is go to a race where the fox tent will be. Tell them your story and they should be able to hook you up right away.

Keep Riding,

ETBW Gravity Racing

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hey man,

When I had a 40, the same thing happened to me. I blew out the whole preload side. You need to send it back to fox. Now ofcourse is most likely their bussiest time of the year but they should fix it. Tell them yuou already sent to them and just explain to them your whole story.

Another thing you could do is go to a race where the fox tent will be. Tell them your story and they should be able to hook you up right away.

Keep Riding,

ETBW Gravity Racing
Wait, the preload side? The damper is in the other leg... No need to wait if it's the preload side, you can just yank the dust wiper and replace it in about 10 mins.

ETBW

Chimp
May 29, 2007
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Wait, the preload side? The damper is in the other leg... No need to wait if it's the preload side, you can just yank the dust wiper and replace it in about 10 mins.

Sorry man. I meant the damper side. It made the fork feel like crap and ON TOP OF THAT both of the seals were spewing oil. And whoever said that a 1600 dollar fork is not something that should break is RIGHT.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
yah its the preload side, not even the dampening side. so is there a write-up on here that tells how to change that seal? thanks for all the input guys!

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
so im looking into servicing the 40 my self. i printed out the online instructions and i have a couple questions.

can you get crush washers anywhere or do you need fox crush washers?

does the oil need to be drained from both ends of the fork? or just one or the other ? ( out through the lowers, or just by removing the topcaps?)

any additional tips would be helpfull
thanks

my goal is to change the oil in both legs and possibly install new dust wipers/seals
due to leaking but not gushing of oil out of the left ( spring ) side

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
If you buy new dust seals they come with the new crush washers and foam rings. Just follow the directions from Fox and it should go pretty easy. I can usually replace my seals and oil in about 20 minutes and that's taking my time. Oh and if you have to, you can reuse your crush washers as long as your careful removing them. I've done it several times and never had a leak from the bottom of the fork.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
so im looking into servicing the 40 my self. i printed out the online instructions and i have a couple questions.

can you get crush washers anywhere or do you need fox crush washers?

does the oil need to be drained from both ends of the fork? or just one or the other ? ( out through the lowers, or just by removing the topcaps?)

any additional tips would be helpfull
thanks

my goal is to change the oil in both legs and possibly install new dust wipers/seals
due to leaking but not gushing of oil out of the left ( spring ) side

Reuse the crush washers.
Drain from the bottom, fill from the bottom with a big syringe so you can measure the exact amount of oil.
Remove bolts on bottom of fork leg, drain, pull lowers, replace seals, install lowers, add oil.
Done.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
We service a lot of Fox 40 and 36 forks including our pro teams forks. We've found that after about 2 seasons DH riding the bushings need to be replaced or the fork will no longer seal. You can replace seals, but they keep leaking unless you do the bushings at Fox. Another option is that for about $30 more, than bushings, you can buy a whole new set of lowers.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
We service a lot of Fox 40 and 36 forks including our pro teams forks. We've found that after about 2 seasons DH riding the bushings need to be replaced or the fork will no longer seal. You can replace seals, but they keep leaking unless you do the bushings at Fox. Another option is that for about $30 more, than bushings, you can buy a whole new set of lowers.
$30 more?

Jesus christ they must be raping people on labor costs to replace bushings!

Funny, how I remeber Fox saying their new bushing design would make them last longer.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
IMO, fox charge very reasonable prices for their service. not sure how much it is precisely in the us, but if its alright here in england, doubt it would be an issue in the us.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
anyway... a freind had the oil changed in his leaking 40 a while ago and it stopped leaking. i spoke with the mech that did the job, and he said that the foam o ring collects the dirty oil and over lubes the stantion during action. hence all the oil rings while going through the travel/ seepage welling of exceesive oil around the seals.( oil never ran down the leg , just leaked not squirting out.) so he said to do the following.

it was pretty easy, and the 40 no longer leaks from the pre load spring side.
1.remove fork from bike
2.removed ti spring from left leg along with spacers
3.drain oil
4.remove both crowns.
5.carefully pull up the wipers/dust seals with thin bladed screwdrivers
6.then carefully remove the foam o ring beneath wipers/dust seals. pull them all the way up/over the empty stantion
7.clean oil from above parts. i had to squish the dirty oil from the foam ring like it was a sponge.
8.drop 2 and 3/4 tbs fresh oil into the leg. 7 weight.
put it back together...

I might do the same things with the damper leg but not get into the cartridge just replace the lubricated 40 cc of oil with fresh stuff.