Quantcast

fox 40 oil

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I'm planning to change the oil and inspect the seals sometime before my ski lift opens up, and was gathering the tools I need. I'm going to have to purchase the sockets, but other then that I should be OK.

What I don't want to buy is the fox suspension fluid, as I just feel like i'm getting majorly ripped off.

I live next to a few well equipped and big motorcross/motorbike stores, and Andorra is full of them, is there any chance I can buy motorbike oil?

Either different weights and mix or whatever, then I can buy a large amount. Fox fluid is 7wt, if it matters.

thanks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I assume your talking about the lubrication oil and not the damping oil?
If it's just the lube oil, almost any suspension oil will work. I buy 5wt at the moto shop by the quart. Get a big syringe so you can measure it and squirt it in through the bottom instead of pulling the top caps.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I assume your talking about the lubrication oil and not the damping oil?
If it's just the lube oil, almost any suspension oil will work. I buy 5wt at the moto shop by the quart. Get a big syringe so you can measure it and squirt it in through the bottom instead of pulling the top caps.
yeah suspension fluid

so if i buy standard 7wt suspension fluid i wont run into any problems? thats awesome

thanks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
yeah suspension fluid

so if i buy standard 7wt suspension fluid i wont run into any problems? thats awesome

thanks
In the 40, the damping oil and the lube oil are seperate. The damping oil is inside the cartridge.
It really doesn't matter what weight of lube oil you use. Thinner is probably better.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
any oil of that weight will work, fuchs probably makes some of the best lubricants anywhere, when i changed to that in my 888 from stock which i beleive is actually golden spectro or one of the other big companies makes it for marz, you could tell there was a difference pretty easily, that is why so many companies use it

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
won't thinner screw with the seals?
Paint thinner? :lighten:

Mixing lighter and heavier synthetic fork oils should have no impact on the seals unless the oil has some seal swelling additive. Most quality fork oils should not contain any such voodoo.