Quantcast

Fox 40 or 888 or Boxxer or Bos

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I just sold my 08 Boxxer (one of the best forks i've ever owned)

i was on the fence of getting a 2010 Boxxer, but have been reading about the nightmares people have been going through.... even a cpl of buddies of mine with black 2010 boxxers have issues.... leakage... no oil etc....

so i was wondering, should i get a Fox 40 or the 888? i was leaning towards the fox 40, but i think i can save enough to get the Bos fork.... thoughts?

I need a great fork to compliment my New CCDB.....

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Is there a reason you're not considering the aluminum Dorado that's supposed to come out for 2010? Seems you're considering high end forks, and that one looks to be priced in the same tier as the Idylle.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
In Order:
2010 Boxxer Team, they have fixed the problems with them.
Aluminum Dorado
2010 Fox 40
BOS

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
888 Evo > Dorado > 40 > BOS > Boxxer

Either of those first two would have valving that compliments the CCDB the best.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Is there a reason you're not considering the aluminum Dorado that's supposed to come out for 2010? Seems you're considering high end forks, and that one looks to be priced in the same tier as the Idylle.
You beat me to it.

If this were an option on the list, it would be at the top for me. Second would be the 40 RC2 since I have had nothing but positive experiences with it so far.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
that new Durado looks for someone who races... i dont; race at all, i freeride and DH....

The reason i said the Bos, is that someone is sellling one brand new for 1400.00

That's an ill deal considering the Idylle (whatever) is like 2K.....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hahaha, funny stuff.

Wouldn't discount the dorado as a freeride fork. Remember the Boxxer Team is the same as a WC minus the air spring...which is really darn reliable. So a "race" fork is all in your opinion.

I have my eye on one mostly because of the inverted design, and because it pushes dirt away from the seals WITH gravity, instead of against it.

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
have any of you here ever tried a bos fork?
Maybe 1% of american riders have even laid eyes on the forks.

YEs i am biased as i am the bos distributor in AUstralia but honestly, the reliability of these forks on top of race oriented damper, with a top notch finish is for me the epitomy of a fork.

Think about it, these guys have been doing forks (again) for no more than 18 months and look at the level they've reached. It's only going to get better too.

I personnaly ride the Idylle rare and have ridden the normal Idylle and i guarantee that everyone who i sold the forks to here in Australia is over the moon with the performance and reliability and let me tell you that the first generation didn't have to come back to me for an upgrade 1 week after being sold.

The hydraulic adjustable bottom out system is absolutely amazing.
I can provide photos too if you want.

So my order of recommendation to you would be

bos
fox
boxxer

nicho

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Would you mind writing what specific details make each damper superior to the other in that order?
Not going to write an essay about each one, but the valving approaches for the Dorado, 888 and the 40 mimic that in the CCDB the closest. The BOS stuff typically takes an entirely different approach. It's effective no doubt, but it's not nearly as parallel as the other options are to the CCDB valving.

As far as damping by itself goes - both the 888 and the Dorado could be argued against one another. The damper on the 888 appears to be a little more straightforward for assembly/reassembly. The Fox damper is sealed/bled - PITA. Bumps it down below the other two. Same with the BOS, and it even requires a nitrogen charge if I remember right. I remember reading they had an open bath lower end version though. And Boxxers are just....well, Boxxers.

As for the chassis on each - depends what you want. OP didn't ask about that, and all of those options vary quite a bit. I can tell you that the new 888 chassis is REALLY tight and slick though. The Dorado is also one of the most compliant and bind-free chassis I've felt for a MTB.

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
Not going to write an essay about each one, but the valving approaches for the Dorado, 888 and the 40 mimic that in the CCDB the closest. The BOS stuff typically takes an entirely different approach. It's effective no doubt, but it's not nearly as parallel as the other options are to the CCDB valving.

As far as damping by itself goes - both the 888 and the Dorado could be argued against one another. The damper on the 888 appears to be a little more straightforward for assembly/reassembly. The Fox damper is sealed/bled - PITA. Bumps it down below the other two. Same with the BOS, and it even requires a nitrogen charge if I remember right. I remember reading they had an open bath lower end version though. And Boxxers are just....well, Boxxers.

As for the chassis on each - depends what you want. OP didn't ask about that, and all of those options vary quite a bit. I can tell you that the new 888 chassis is REALLY tight and slick though. The Dorado is also one of the most compliant and bind-free chassis I've felt for a MTB.
JEsus christ, where do you get your info from? And you say you know the dampers enough to comment. I'm talking about your bos comment. And that is how my friend you spread bad rumours about a product.

First of all i think you are referring to the First downhill fork bos brought out (when they got back in the game) which was the IDylle pro which only made it to pre series status. The idylle Rare followed in its footsteps.

Secondly Bos does not use nitrogen in any of their mtb products!
That is a fact that i'm willing to put out there since i service bos shocks and forks and the most technical tool i need for it is a shock pump and a needle.

Thirdly the Bos Idylle rare (high end) or Idylle(entry level) operate on an open bath system which requires little to no maintenance for a minimum of two years.

Bos recommends an oil change a year and seals every two years.

Now i cannot speak about the other brands (manitou's, 2010 boxxers, 888) but i do think the fox 40's are the closest in terms of quality to bos (but inferior in damping).

My final word is if you can get a Bos fork i can guarantee you that will be blown away by its performance.

I cannot tell you how many people to whom i've sold bos products to and did not believe it could get any better. Well every single one of them only sees bos for their future bikes.

nicho

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Have you even owned a 2010 boxxer hacktastic? Having a test ride is a bit different to spending months owning / tuning one to suit yourself and shock.

It has all the same external adjustments as the CCDB
It is a linear damper with no position sensitive component, like the CCDB

And having ridden both, I think they can be setup to feel much the same. To rate it least similar to that shock is just misleading, if anything it will be closer to it than the forks with position sensitive components like the dorado, fox, and 888.

First gen issues are another story, but get your facts straight - this isn't the first time you've been talking out of your arse on here.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Thanks for the follow-up post hacktastic. It put everything into perspective for me and the rest of RM. I don't have anymore questions.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've spent some time messing with them on trails I know well (the new Boxxers). Didn't own it for months and didn't just mess with it in the parking lot either. The adjustments were kinda...vague? I had a hard time trying to dial it in, and never really got it even though it was sprung right. It had all the teething issues sorted out too. Really didn't see the damping as a parallel to the Double Barrel at all. I've always thought that Boxxers had their own feel to them - take that however you want.

Let me make sure I'm perfectly straight on the BOS stuff too - the one that has the piggyback and requires pressure, the Idylle Pro. I am 99% certain that requires the system to be bled, correct? I don't see any way that it would NOT have to be. Now that I'm looking at them, there is a lower end one that is a true open bath. You're saying that they're no longer producing the Pro? I still see it on their website, so I'm assuming that is the highest end one. If they aren't, I stand corrected. Never even taken a look at the lower end ones since I just assumed they were going to be lower end OEM models. I saw an exploded diagram or picture of the damper in the Pro a while back that I'm trying to find right now and having no luck. I figure someone looking at BOS stuff to begin with would only be going for the high end stuff..

Believe me, I could spread plenty of other bad rumors about BOS products and service with plenty of validity, but I won't and keep it relevant to what the OP is asking about.

What makes you think a 40 is similar in quality to a BOS, and in what aspects?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I should add as a disclaimer: I'm probably the last person you want input from about a Boxxer. I'm pretty soured towards those forks in general and would rate a kids pogo stick with tassles on it above a Boxxer. I'd feel safer balancing on my dick on a tightrope without a net than owning one. From time to time I do try to stay objective about them though.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I should add as a disclaimer: I'm probably the last person you want input from about a Boxxer. I'm pretty soured towards those forks in general and would rate a kids pogo stick with tassles on it above a Boxxer. I'd feel safer balancing on my dick on a tightrope without a net than owning one. From time to time I do try to stay objective about them though.
Plus on rep. I just shot soda out my nose. :rofl:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

The problem with posts like that is that you know enough to convince a lot of people that you know what you're talking about, but man you seem to be basing your opinions (particularly of the BOS which you've never had anything to do with at all) on a whole lot of fairyland dreaming and hypotheticals. The TPC+ damping of the Dorado is significantly different from the hydraulic bottom-out cone of the Fox, and even with that aside nobody's mentioned things like rebound curves, spring rates, yadda yadda.

Reality is - if you even have to ask, chances are you're gonna be happy with any of them. Other than distinct problems, if you don't know what you're looking for, you won't know if you've found it. All the forks have capable dampers, all of them are heavily reliant on setup, some have better seals or lighter weight or whatever than others, and if you don't know what it is that you're looking for in the damping or spring systems, pick the one that's cheapest, lightest, or has the least number of well-documented issues.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
hey dave, since your going to be buying the bos idylle fork off me do you mind if i mount it on my bike and test it compaired to my 2009 carbon dorado??

then i will be able to compare the two since about none of these monkies on here have ridin both.

please?:D

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
hey dave, since your going to be buying the bos idylle fork off me do you mind if i mount it on my bike and test it compaired to my 2009 carbon dorado??

then i will be able to compare the two since about none of these monkies on here have ridin both.

please?:D
dont think your sponsors would like that :think:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!

yea go head and hate.

and btw manitou would be stoked if i rode the bos and gave them input on another top quality fork. They asked me to test out my saint brakes i won but i said id rather sell them brand new. But if i can test out the bos and give them feedback its different than me wanting to freeride on it on thursdays...

Last edited:

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ

yea go head and hate.

and btw manitou would be stoked if i rode the bos and gave them input on another top quality fork. They asked me to test out my saint brakes i won but i said id rather sell them brand new. But if i can test out the bos and give them feedback its different than me wanting to freeride on it on thursdays...
Yuroshek for NJ governor!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Think I'm just going to stick with "Boxxers blow dog" as the extent of my fork related input around here.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Anyone have an exploded view of a Bos cartridge? Also can you fit the hydraulic bottomout to the Idylle? Decision for new fork in the next month or so and it will be a new 888 or an Idylle.

That reminds me, are the new 888 evo cartridges hard anodised on all sliding components?