Quantcast

Fox 40 question

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
Im here looking at my order form for Fox. There are 2 sizes for the 40. theres the 2006 40 203 RC2 (s-l) and a 2006 40 203 RC2 (xl). i was wondering what the difference is? different sized stertubes or hight or what? im 5-10 and 130 pounds and im putting this on a 2006 Orange 224.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
This fork comes in two stack height choices: 90-165mm or 165-181mm. Add the length of your steerer tube, plus the height of your headset to determine stack height.

224 headtube says 120mm for either size. Average HS stack height is 30mm range. Doing the math says 90-165 std size would be what you want.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
go measure your stack height, with headset. and just check in the fox web site which one you should get. s-l means a flat top crown, and the xl one means a drop crown. most bikes use the flat crown.
edit:beat me to it...:p

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
metalMTB said:
but the fox 40 is weaksauce...
if your a pinkbike i huck to flats rider. the 40 is a purebred race fork. it is perhaps the most desirable fork for DH racing, but for freeride, i would look more toward a 888

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'd get the xl version, because then you'll have more adjustability with head tube angle. I just raked out my Demo8 and the bike feels way better. The bike comes stock pretty low, and it's still low with all the sag I've been running, but the thing might be even better a little more raked out. Plus, if you ever go to sell the fork and it has the drop crown, it'll fit more bikes.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
bikenweed said:
I'd get the xl version, because then you'll have more adjustability with head tube angle. I just raked out my Demo8 and the bike feels way better. The bike comes stock pretty low, and it's still low with all the sag I've been running, but the thing might be even better a little more raked out. Plus, if you ever go to sell the fork and it has the drop crown, it'll fit more bikes.
The 224 has quite a bit of head tube angle agustibility. the frame has like 6 adjustments for the bb height/head angle. i like runing my bike fairly raked out as well. great for racing. steep head angles suck.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
True, I got to ride a 224 the other day, and it definitely felt good. The difference between the two crowns is very little from what I've seen. Go for the xl crown and you'll have no regrets. I doubt there is a noticeable decrease in stiffness, and it'll provide more options in the future, and will be easier to sell.