Quantcast

FOX 40 RC2 with bronze/brown lowers (?)

darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
Hi, I've seen recently FOX 40 RC2 with bronze/brown lowers on ebay. The auction ended and I'm not the winner. I'm considering to buy the same fork for my Demo 06 with is in similar brown color. I'm looking for it but with no results. No info on Internet. Maybe someone know where to get this fork?

darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
The paint job looks pretty good and solid. It's hard to believe that it has been painted in a garage with a 4$ spray paint.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Just email the guy sellign them and ask where he got them from, or how he did them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The paint job looks pretty good and solid. It's hard to believe that it has been painted in a garage with a 4$ spray paint.
I'm sure this wasn't exactly the case, but I just used it as an example to illustrate the futility of searching for a brown Fox 40. As far as I'm aware, no such thing has ever existed that wasn't a one off.

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
I wonder why anyone would want a brown colored fork anyway. But hey people like those white ones for some reason so to each their own.

I would call Fox and ask if the brown was a factory color for a team rider or some other application. They ought to tell you for sure what the deal was.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would call Fox and ask if the brown was a factory color for a team rider or some other application..
My guess is this wasn't the case judging that it was being sold on eBay - what would a factory rider be doing hawking parts from sponsors there? (This isn't saying factory riders don't sell their stuff, but normally they do it in a manner that's a little more under the radar).

If you could post up pics of the fork we could speculate some more! :clue: edit: nvm, there's a pic, I just can't see it from work. Could someone throw it up as an attachment?

godzilla

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
my shop paints forks, and bikes. the only thing is if you were to get it custom done you cant powder coat it(something t do with the bushings i guess)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
something t do with the bushings i guess
bearing removal tool costs several hundred dollars. I *think* removing them effectively ruins them (the bushings that is, so they would need to be replaced). PC'ing also affects the tolerances needed for the bushings to work properly IIRC.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
thats not an oem color. before they were produced in white, i saw some of the fow employees with white lowers. i would guess that since that is the brown from the 36's, that is an employee's fork

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
bearing removal tool costs several hundred dollars. I *think* removing them effectively ruins them (the bushings that is, so they would need to be replaced). PC'ing also affects the tolerances needed for the bushings to work properly IIRC.
^^ yeah that's what i thought, my shop uses imron. they were saying its used on jets so i suppose its tough ****

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I had my lowers powdercoated black. Cost $50. All you have to do is take everything off the lowers and get it done.

Sorry they are kind of dusty, but you get the idea.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yeah My Powdercoater I use can do them without a problem, he made himself some Plugs to put in the top and bottom so he doesnt have to take the Bushings out. Any other fork, he just mask's everything of meticulisly<SP>

Oct 14, 2007
D.O.G.

i dont know where you get that hundred of dollars thing, but that's false...first off you can simply put a part on the inside just to cover the innnards so that the P.C. doesn't go in...

also, the tolerances arent that high on bushings...were talking about that cyclindrical tube that is literally hammered in the lowers I.M.O.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
D.O.G.

i dont know where you get that hundred of dollars thing, but that's false...first off you can simply put a part on the inside just to cover the innnards so that the P.C. doesn't go in...

also, the tolerances arent that high on bushings...were talking about that cyclindrical tube that is literally hammered in the lowers I.M.O.
#1 - I meant bushing removal tool, not bearing

#2 - I was referring to the Fox Issued tool. Which is hard to come by (as far as I'm aware)

#3 - Yes, blocking the openings renders bushing removal during PC moot

#4 - The tol's on the bushings themselves aren't that high, however the pieces they are pressed into is a different story (and is what I was referring to in the first place. Apologies for the lack of clarification).

entropy138

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Supposedly the raised puffy sticker on bridge of the lowers indicates that it is a Fox Factory fork... I've read that there are a few floating around and often came in special colors requested for the rider or the like an 06 factory fork would have the 07 internals for testing etc... not sure how much i believe it but i guess it could be possible.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Ok guys, I can end the e-speculation since I got the fork.

The lowers were repowdercoated. It is not a factory color. Color is primo. Dark metallic bronze. Very nice:thumb:

The guy just had them done. Then sent the fork to Fox and had it completely serviced including new seals, bushings and bladder (I also have the receipt for service).

I must say I was a little concerned. Seemed weird that he would have a 2008 fork rebuilt already. Apparently most the work was done because of the lowers. Magnesium can somewhat of a problem to powder coat. A lot of places won't do it. But I must say, It looks awesome. Only time will tell about durability. I've had over a dozen frames re-powder coated, Olympic who does all Turners work have done most mine. I also had Spectrum do my Brooklyn, but they're pretty pricey and take a long time. The guy who did the lowers did a pretty nice job.

Fork also works perfect, with no binding or stickyness. Stanchions are perfect and other then a small scratch on the lower crown, the fork looks brand new. Guy decided to sell it, cause he got a deal on a Boxxer.

If anyone out there has a Risse upper crown for a Fox 40 laying around let me know. I'll buy it from you.