Quantcast

Fox 40 RC2

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I have a chance to pick up a used, but in good shape, 2007 Fox 40 RC2. I have a 2007 888 SL, which has been a very good fork............since I took out the PAR.
Anybody have experience with both forks??? My 888 has air preload and is a half pound lighter then the 40.
The 40 has a medium (red) ti spring, would this be suited to my 195 pound weight???? I've always wanted to try the 40, but I don't want to waist my $$$ to find out it was a mistake. I've heard the 2007's are much better then the previous years.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'll bite.
You'll probably get 100 replies about how the 40 sucks and leaks all the time and bottoms out over curbs. I have an '05 ( a very early one at that) and it is hands down the best fork I've ever ridden. Yes, it needs seals after 2 weekends at Whistler. But considering how many vertical feet that is, I don't consider that an unreasonable maintenance interval. I also picked up some enduro seals last year and they seem to last quite a bit longer. You do need to change the oil a lot. People wanted a light fork. Fox took all the oil they could out of it and people wonder why it gets gray and nasty after 2 weeks.

As for the bottoming, you will probably need a stiffer spring. Your weight seems to be right about where people start having problems. The fork is quite linear. In order to keep from bottoming, you need to run the fork a bit stiffer than normal, sacrificing initial stroke softness. The newer carts are supposed to have addressed this. You can always upgrade an older fork to a newer cart.

As much maintenance as these forks are, they are easy to work on. Everything is rebuildable with some fairly standard tools.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
do any of you guys have a green ti spring you would be willing to sell?
I weigh 150 and thought that the green was perfect. Good amount of sag and i would occasionally bottom it. Right now the purple I have in it is way to soft.
the 40 does require work to keep it running but it is awesome.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
After riding with a fox 40 for about 2 years, I am looking to a boxxer. I have a 2007 as well, an rc2. I have a few problems with them.

They Compression adjustments feel like they are attatched to nothing.
They need a lot of maintnence.
And also, I don't know if it is just the fox 40's material for the lowers, or my riding, but there are dents in my lowers.

The good things are it is stiff, it rides really smooth for the most part. But it just lacks the adjustability. When and if I get more money, I think I am going for a new boxxer.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Don't know about that. I just helped set up 2 of the '08 40's this last week (brand new) and the only adjuster that seemed to do anything was the rebound. Still zero compression range like in years past.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Don't know about that. I just helped set up 2 of the '08 40's this last week (brand new) and the only adjuster that seemed to do anything was the rebound. Still zero compression range like in years past.
Did you happen to acquire your forks from some shady internet dealer who assured you that the Fax logo was simply a typo? That is about the only way your statement would be true.

That, or both of your friends sent you broken forks and you were not able to figure this out.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No. They aren't mine. They came OEM on brand new bikes. No shady internet conspiracy of Fox forks in disguise here....the other possibility is that they just have no real range in stock form. Both brand new out of the box forks. They do have more bottoming resistance this year, but that isn't speed/flow control.

The only 40's I've felt that were decent were factory ones with a bunch more low speed and an early high speed taper. And you know what they must have had?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's not my fault it's 20 after midnight his time and he's editing my posts on a web forum instead of fornicating....maybe less shimz?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Did you happen to acquire your forks from some shady internet dealer who assured you that the Fax logo was simply a typo? That is about the only way your statement would be true.

That, or both of your friends sent you broken forks and you were not able to figure this out.
I've tried two 08 40s' compression adjusters, and couldn't notice a thing in terms of damping changes from full in to full out on either one. Udi found the same thing. I don't think they're broken, I think Fox deliberately valves them way lighter than is necessary when it comes to compression. Going by the number of hits vs misses, I'd say it's more likely you got lucky, than anyone else having a broken fork.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
hmmmmmmmm. I think I'll steer clear of this and stick with my 888 which works very well.

Hannu

Chimp
Jan 23, 2007
Finland
I have no experience on earlier 40's, but 09 definitely has very decent compression adjustment range. You can set it up very soft or quite hard, not locked out as with Boxxer motion control but hard enough. Other than that, I have been riding only boxxers for few years, and while I always liked them very much, 40 really feels better...somehow more controlled feeling and smoother.

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
Ahhhh the fox 40.

Veryyyy nice and smooth and virtualy unbeatable. Compression is unbeleiveably adjustable and the fork is not an easy fork to bottom out. I had the 05 fox 40 and then got the 08. No difference just the 08 didnt seep oil like the 05-06's had.:cheers:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
pretty wide range of opinnions of these forks. Either they are un-reliable, high maintenance, easy to bottom out adjustments suck fork, or a very adjustable, super smooth and sensitive piece of wonderous technology.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
On my '06 things work fine, just a couple of clicks the wrong way can really mess with me. There seems to be enough range. Only thing wrong with it is it needs new bushings. There is some noticeable play now. Not bad for a few years of riding. Other then one friend cracking the arch, in a crash. Another had her rebound fail. I haven't see much go wrong with em. Aside from having to replace the seals rather often.