Quantcast

Fox 40 Stanchion Thickness

ak pura vida

Chimp
Oct 3, 2012
My quick search did not provide the info I was looking for. I have a new 2014 40 and was wondering where the taper in the stanchions start/stop. I would like to lower my stanchions some but want to make sure if i do i won't be clamping on an area with thinner material. I'm assuming it isn't an issue with the top crown since different bikes have different head tube lengths but what about the bottom crown? Can I adjust the bottom crown location without concern of too much tension on a thin part of the stanchion? Also, can someone tell me the correct torque spec for the crown bolts? Thanks.

Cory

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Don't go lower than the minimum recommended height for the lower crown. You'll just bottom the seals on the crown, and/or hit the tire on the crown. Either way, bad.

ak pura vida

Chimp
Oct 3, 2012
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear, I want to go the other way. I want to push the stanchions out further. So there is less stanchion above the top crown.

PV

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
via Pinkbike...
Taper-butted stanchion tubes: Air-pistons sliding up and down inside the left stanchion tube required an ID as smooth as the tube’s OD. The Kashima-coated tubes are tapered internally to be thicker near the lower fork crown. The tubes are tapered thinner both above and below the lower crown, which encourages the stanchions to flex a little. This gives the new 40 a welcome degree of comfort over the original. Both the right and left stanchions are the same, and the internals of the original will retrofit into the new chassis.

ak pura vida

Chimp
Oct 3, 2012
Thanks. I did read that but was wondering if anyone knew where the tapering started/ended? Ideally fox would provide actual measurements from the top of the stanchions down. Anyone?

PV

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That makes more sense. I'd still be wary of lengthening the fork much beyond what Fox recommends, irrespective of any tapering, because you'll be lengthening the fork, and thereby the lever arm through which inputs at the wheel are delivered to the frame/fork. How much longer are we talking?

ak pura vida

Chimp
Oct 3, 2012
Just the 1/2 inch or so the stanchions are above the top crown. Although it would give me a "slightly" slacked head angle it is more for looks. Personal preference.

PV

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
How about some more spacers under your upper crown to avoid potentially over extending your fork?

ak pura vida

Chimp
Oct 3, 2012
Thanks. I guess I should have just asked if anyone knew at what point the taper in the stanchions starts and stops.

PV

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I like my fork a little taller/slacker. Most frames now have a 1.5" headtube and most ridrs use a flush internal lower headset cup. Cane Creek makes an external 1.5"-1 1/8 lower cup that raises the front end while increasing the distance between the crowns. It also uses a larger bearing than a flush cup. This is the cleanest, strongest, stiffest way to raise the fork.

ak pura vida

Chimp
Oct 3, 2012
cool, thanks for the info. if i really feel the need to slacken it out some, i'll probably try an angle set. not sure at this point though.

pv