Quantcast

Fox 40 Stem Solutions

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I've been riding a Fox 40 for the past week and it's great, but I am disappointed with the traditional (bolts to the steer-tube) stem that I have to use. I've been running various forks with bolt-on stems for about five years, and I forgot how normal stems twist and flex around. I see that Go-Ride has a bolt-on system for the 40, and Risse has a full crown set that lets you use the Boxxer-style bolt-on stems, but wanted to ask if there was anything else before buying. Has anyone used either of these products? Recomendations? Does anyone have either of those products for sale?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I was actually the one who pestered Risse into making the bolt on crown and have been running the original prototype on my bike all season. It is a great solution if you want to run a bolt on stem (I am running the e13 Ali).

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Transcend said:
I was actually the one who pestered Risse into making the bolt on crown and have been running the original prototype on my bike all season. It is a great solution if you want to run a bolt on stem (I am running the e13 Ali).
are they in production ??

if so.
i'm interested.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Thanks very much for the quick response Transcend. The Risse solution is more expensive to me as I don't already own an E13 stem. Coming from a Romic stem/crown combo on my '03 Boxxer WC, traditional stems are really disappointing! I don't remember them being so bad before I went to bolt-on. Any advantages of the Risse over the Go-Ride?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The big advantage with the risse in my mind is that you can run any length/rise stem you want, as long as it is the boxxer standard. There are many choices out there now. That's one thing I didn't like about the go-ride option is that I would be stuck with one size stem.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Thanks for the update, Transcend. I will try to get in touch with Risse and Go-Ride on Monday to see who can me a crown sooner. I assume the E13 stem is available through BTI or QBP? I like the fact that the Risse lets me use the E13 which in turn lets me run 25.4mm bars.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I went with the Risse/E13 combo. Will ride it tomorrow, just need to cut my steerer. Everything went together very easily. Anyone know the torque specs for the E13 clamp bolts?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'm feeling that Go Ride stem. Oversize bar mount, and it's not too short, nor too long. I don't really want any adjustments, I want to set it and forget it.

Is twisting/bending the stanchions in a wreck much more likely with such a stiff front end set up?

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
bikenweed said:
Is twisting/bending the stanchions in a wreck much more likely with such a stiff front end set up?
oh god, don't go there. If you really want to know, search and read the bitchfest in that thread.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
oh god, don't go there. If you really want to know, search and read the bitchfest in that thread.

Seeing as this thread got bumped, i have something to add about the whole twisting nonsense.

I had just about the biggest crash of my life at bromont about 6 weeks ago. DaPeach, Mmike and SGD were there to witness it. Bike went flying, I went flying, bike cartwheeled...all at full speed down a fireroad. It bounced off the bars a few times and the crowns, fork legs, bars etc are all fine. Something was twisted post crash and was binding the fork legs a bit. Complete dissassembly at fox, and reassembly for new seals, cartridge swap etc and the old parts all went back together with no problem.

Just anecdotal evidence at best, but if you crash harder and more awkward that I did, chances are you will be worrying about much more than your bars or fork legs. I had on armour, and still sufferred cracked ribs etc. It was brutal.