Quantcast

Fox 831 DJ/4X fork

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-831-fork-2009.html

$831 for a basically a 32 is a lot of coin for a DJ/4X fork no?

WEIGHT
3.833 lb (1738.6g) – 1 1/8" steerer
3.8 lb (1725.2g) – 1.5" steerer

TRAVEL
100 mm

ADJUSTMENTS
Low Speed Compression
Lockout force adjust
Lever actuated lockout
Air spring pressure
Rebound
Travel (internally adjustable)

DAMPER
FIT RLC

LOWER LEG
15QR

STEERER
1 1/8" (option 1.5 taper)

SPRING
Air

FORK COLOR
Black

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
WHY didn't they make it with a 20mm thru-axle??? The 15mm BS makes me not want to buy a Fox (unless it was a 40 :D)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Head over to the BMX/DJ forum on RM and strike up a conversation with Zach Dank. He's riding one. You won't get the most technical suspension description, but he seems to like it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Head over to the BMX/DJ forum on RM and strike up a conversation with Zach Dank. He's riding one. You won't get the most technical suspension description, but he seems to like it.
then why bother talking to him. im sure he'll say its great if he's been the lucky few who are riding one

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
What's the big deal with the fit cartridge? Is it really needed in a dj/4x fork? As for 15mm and not 20mm, what's the big deal? The 15 is lighter allegedly and alot of dj guys use bolt on bmx hubs with no issues. So a 20mm is not a must.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
What's the big deal with the fit cartridge? Is it really needed in a dj/4x fork? As for 15mm and not 20mm, what's the big deal? The 15 is lighter allegedly and alot of dj guys use bolt on bmx hubs with no issues. So a 20mm is not a must.
I think what people are getting at is the lack of cross-compatibility. Since it's 15mm - this means that if you haven't previously owned a 15mm fork NOW you have to go out and buy a 15mm hub since everything else is 20mm.

In addition to this issue, the front wheel you just built up with that 15mm front hub is no longer compatible with any DH bike or most other DJ/HT forks (does Marz. or RS make a 15mm DJ fork? ...will have to check on that... hmmm). Let's say you only have a DJ bike and a DH rig. Say you stacked it hard with your DH rig and taco'd the front wheel and need to scavenge a front wheel... you'll never be able to use the one off your DJ bike b/c it's 15mm and your DH rig is 20mm.

I think this fork has great potential and I'm pretty sure Chase was riding a proto version of this in 08'... Like others I don't think going 15mm was a good idea - it unecessarily puts limits and constraints on the end user where a 20mm front hub would have been fine.

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Depends on the hub you use, a 240, I-9, Hadley, and many others are able to be 9, thru, 15mm or 20mm with spacer changes.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
True - there are options. I just think it would have been a more simple solution to use 20mm in the first place.
The bike industry doesnt believe in simple.
A 20mm axle would have either required the use of the 36mm Chassis which is over kill and over weight for the intended use, orrrrrr Fox would have had to make a new lower casting for the 32mm chassis to use a 20mm axle. Which would have driven up the cost even more of a fork that they aren't respectively going to sell a lot of. (IMO)

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
yes i did knock this fork til I rode one....and changed my mind.
i have an 09 Float 36rc2 i lowered it myself to 80mm on my Dobermann Le Pink and I love it. mostly street and some trail
on the other hand I have two 831's. One is on my 08 Transition double that is geard and 31lbs complete. Use it for xc, aggressive trail, light dh, ect. The adjustabilty on the 831 is great for this bike and riding style. I am really liking it. It saves about a pound over the 36 rc2
I also have an 09 Commencal Absolute 4x with an 831. it will be my xc,ds ht again the adjustability for that riding is great. So far 25lbs without pedals.

I feel this fork was aimed more at the 4x crowd.

Is it just a 15mm Float 32...NO. It is tuned for more agressive riding

AS for the 20mm vs 15mm just about every company makes adapters so the crying over needing a new hub or not being able to switch wheels is null and void.
Atomlab, Azonic Outlaws, Hope Pro2, Hadley's, I-9's, Dt 440's all can be converted from 20mm to 15mm within a few minutes.
keep in mind it comes set at 100mm comes with an extra 20mm spacer and the spacer inside can be removed. So travel on it is from 80mm to 120mm.

I agree that if you are just dj or street then the adjustments are not needed. Go for something less expensive but nothing will be as light.

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Complaining about 15mm is NOT null and void if you have a chris King hub and its going to cost you $100 bucks for a new axle to fit a standard that STILL isn't as good as 20mm. Still applies if you are paying $50 for any other adaptor.

That said, that fork look bloody awesome, and 15mm destroys QR any day of the week.

And just for fun...

http://www.moarshimz.com/Articles/marzocchi-introduces-15mm-sl-standard-a3.html
Still cheaper then buying a new hub or new wheel. Adapters range from $25-$80 for the King not $100.
It is not a long travel dh fork, 20mm is not needed and the 15mm is superior to a qr.
Don't just blame fox, Shimano created the 15mm standard and Marzocchi also uses it on the 44

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Shimano and Fox both created the standard. Their arguement is that 20mm is too much, and 15mm is lighter. And come up to Canada, and you'll see that it is indeed $100 for a King axle. Actually, I think MSRP is $120.

I say horse****. RockShox did Maxle lite, and its quite light. What is this concept of "too much?" What, your wheel is too stiff? Too attached to your fork? Steers to well? Who came up with the measurment for that anyhow?

15mm is better then QR by a longshot, but its still another "standard" that wasn't really needed, failed to solve any problem. Its not really much lighter at all, other then a few grams. Its just not needed really.

That said, QR should be outlawed, even on road and off-roadie bikes.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
If MSRP is around 800$, that means about how much for us mortals if you actually want to buy one?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That said, QR should be outlawed, even on road and off-roadie bikes.
I'm with Jeff. QR has caused more headaches for the bike industry than most people realize. I do believe it's also been the root cause of a number of very large recalls. Anyone ever hear of "lawyer tabs"?

Don't get me wrong, when Tullio Campagnolo designed the original version it in the late '20's (yes, the 1920's. Its that old.) he had good intentions. But as its been said in the past: "design something to be idiot proof, and the world will make a better idiot."

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Atomlab, Azonic Outlaws, Hope Pro2, Hadley's, I-9's, Dt 440's all can be converted from 20mm to 15mm within a few minutes.
keep in mind it comes set at 100mm comes with an extra 20mm spacer and the spacer inside can be removed. So travel on it is from 80mm to 120mm.
Exactly how? Especially interested in the Outlaws and/or Gravity Wheels. If I can convert either one of those, I think we're gonna order one.

Any other suggestions for a dercent 4x fork?

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
Whats the big deal with the 831? Its a 32 float with more compression damping and a little smaller air chamber(easy to do, just add oil). I guess it's cooler to have a "new" 831 on your bike than a 32 float.
Fox marketing 1
consumers 0

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Whats the big deal with the 831? Its a 32 float with more compression damping and a little smaller air chamber(easy to do, just add oil). I guess it's cooler to have a "new" 831 on your bike than a 32 float.
Fox marketing 1
consumers 0
Well first thing is a 2010 Float RLC 140 goes for $765 or so a 150 RLC goes for $775 or so. Both then need to be lowered. It is easy to do yourself with some oil, float fluid, a crush washer and some spacers.
The 831 RLC can be found for less then this. Fox does not allow prices to be advertised for less then retail. That does not mean you have to pay retail.
It is black instead of white another "cool" factor. It is lowered already. It is only slightly lighter and has better stickers...lol

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Exactly how? Especially interested in the Outlaws and/or Gravity Wheels. If I can convert either one of those, I think we're gonna order one.

Any other suggestions for a dercent 4x fork?
Don't know about the Gravity wheels you would have to contact them.

Azonic sells the adapters on their website for the Outlaws and unlike the 20mm ones that fall off when you take the wheel off the 15mm ones stay in.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
A 20mm axle would have either required the use of the 36mm Chassis which is over kill and over weight for the intended use, orrrrrr Fox would have had to make a new lower casting for the 32mm chassis to use a 20mm axle. Which would have driven up the cost even more of a fork that they aren't respectively going to sell a lot of. (IMO)
Oh - agreed with what you and Rice were saying, but when I said "in the first place" I meant going all the way back to before FOX started using the 15mm axles.

EDIT: Nevermind :bonk:

Last edited: