Quantcast

Fox DHX 5.0 accident

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007

So I have the remote reservoir version of the DHX for my DHR. Hungover this morning I meant to disconnect the reservoir from the frame to remove the shock, but accidentally disconnected the hose instead (where it meets the reservoir). A drop of oil immediately spilled out. Is the shock done? Do I need to have it serviced? If so, would it be better (expense and quality wise) to send it to push or to fox (or some local shop, bay area)?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

OG4LIFE

Chimp
Jul 6, 2009
Helena, MT
I wouldn't be so much concerned with the oil getting out as I would be for air getting into the system. Loosing a drop of oil isn't a big deal. Take the shock out, recheck your boost air pressure, and leave the shock sit upright(rod upwards)for a day while cycling it every so often to see if any air in the oil makes its way to the top of the shock body. After all this, if the shock has a bit of "play" (at the beginning of compression) when you lightly compress it, you've got air in the oil and a rebuild would be about the only way to correct it fully. If its been a while since your last rebuild, you can also use this episode as an excuse to get it in:)

By the way--I like what PUSH does with shocks!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Push?? Haha???

All you have is just a little air in the shock. A simple bleed will rectify this problem and if you have any mechanical ability, you should be able to easily do it. There's no real black magic with rear shock service and no special tools necessary to refill it with oil. Just make sure you purchase a full synthetic rear shock fluid which is much more stable and doesn't break down like the cheaper suspension fluid used for front suspension.

Here's a nice and simple tutorial for a basic rebuild that someone posted on MTBR. http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7facf2b496331f13d2db6fb9a8902bda

Keep in mind that nothing internally should be damaged so you shouldn't need to replace o-rings.

OG4LIFE

Chimp
Jul 6, 2009
Helena, MT
By the basic mechanics of the DHX5, the air in the boost chamber should push the oil out and not let in any air(provided there was air in it). Just safer to check it out. Rebuilding it youself would be OK depending on how much you trust your mechanical aptitude and, more importantly, your ability to follow the internet instructions;)

Joss DeWaele

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
The SLC
While your in there, change the oil. If you've never done so, the oil is probably mud by now. I am always amazed how seldom people change the oil in their shocks. Mtb shocks use such a small amount of oil to do such a huge amount of work, it is very easy for the oil to get old, tired, and dirty. Dirty oil burns things. See: Iraq.